ChuckieP

Change those fuel lines

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Was replacing fuel fitting on my 10 year old Merc with original oem fuel line. Pumped fuel from the line into an empty jar and this is what came outimage.jpeg.c47beca770fd399f4179679a4d54c5c5.jpeg

I've heard that the ethanol mixes tear up our fuel lines, don't know why the manufacturers haven't figured this out. Haven't ever seen this on my car, and we've had ethanol in fuel for years. 

I had the same problem 3 years ago on my 2007 225 Merc Optimax. Saw a bunch of garbage in my Fuel chamber where my fuel filter sits. I asked around and everyone at Mercury new that the fuel lines they put in that year were breaking down. Thank god for my yearly maintenance and the fuel filter doing its job. Had to replace my fuel line all the way from the tank to the fuel pump. That was a cheap fix. If the fuel filter didn't do its job I would have a real expensive repair bill at the marina.

Umm, isnt there fuel line from the filter to the motor? Or am i missing something?

On my boat i got a line from the tank to a fiter. Then a line out of the filter to the fuel pump, and a line out of the pump to the carbs..

12 hours ago, Baitbucket said:

Umm, isnt there fuel line from the filter to the motor? Or am i missing something?

On my boat i got a line from the tank to a fiter. Then a line out of the filter to the fuel pump, and a line out of the pump to the carbs..

Yes and they usually change diameter as they get closer to carb, pita to to get out

That’s not ethanol damage. It’s hardened varnish. Ethanol damage makes the hose dissolve. Varnish builds up and becomes a solid. This happens whenever gas sits for a long time.

Replace with a Ethanol friendly new line   Very easy, if needed.  Ethanol can make old lines gummy black and breaks then down.  Newer boats come with Ethanol friendly lines.     There talking about E 15 coming? 

Edited by ccb

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:10 PM, MakoMike said:

Just the fuel filter doing its job.

Until the inside of the line degrades to the point where it collapses/blocks itself.

Friend was having issues, very mechanically declined kind of guy, scratched my head on it for awhile before I pulled his fuel line.  Cut it open and it was apparent what the problem was

6 hours ago, ccb said:

Replace with a Ethanol friendly new line   Very easy, if needed.  Ethanol can make old lines gummy black and breaks then down.  Newer boats come with Ethanol friendly lines.     There talking about E 15 coming? 

that's what happened to my motorcycles fuel lines,leaves this black stuff in the bowls on the carbs.

HH

The ethanol is eating away the linings of the fuel lines. Your need to replace them with lines that are ethanol resistant. The only motors that I know of that can handle e15 are the new Mercury v6 and v8 motors. Probably the new Yam v8's too.

If we let e15 take over we will be farked.

Never buy attawood fuel lines and bulbs. Put a new line on in the spring for my outboard and every other time trying to get on plane it would bog down. Changed the plugs, dumped the water separator, added

startron , and ran Marvin’s through the water separator direct to clean the carbs on my outboard. Still it would bog down every other time. Last shot was to try a different fuel line and bulb before bring it to a mechanic and like magic the issue was fixed. Did some research and I found on line that it is a common problem for Attawood and these line are crap. 

The fuel you buy today with ethanol is not compatible with any carbureted engine.

Say that a few times to your self!

Why ? Ethanol attracts water right out of the air, water and aluminum do not play nice with each other.

When they are together aluminum loses and that is the white dust you see when you disassemble a carb. 

So now Briggs and Straton is putting plastic carbs on lawn mowers hmmm I wonder why?

I am not getting into how the new gas is making the rubber needles or seats swell and throw float levels off!

I run a ethanal compliant 2005 Yamaha 90 2stroke, replace the fuel hose with oem unit every 5 years.

Have cleaned out and rebuilt the carbs to many times to count.

Lawnmower surging! Check the float level. Sorry folks but until it changes you all better learn your carburetor 101.

Oh ever see SEF small engine fuel in the quart containers for 7-8$ are you kidding me!

80$ for a five gallon can! Where in the world did this become acceptable?

On 4/21/2019 at 7:56 PM, ChuckieP said:

Was replacing fuel fitting on my 10 year old Merc with original oem fuel line. Pumped fuel from the line into an empty jar and this is what came outimage.jpeg.c47beca770fd399f4179679a4d54c5c5.jpeg

That is not varnish, it was a liner in the fuel hose that broke down from the fuel.