blind squirl

VR 125 Owners review

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I have been using my vr 125 for 3 yrs. only problem is the black handle was getting loose, (tackle shop 10 min. repair) this reel has been dunked, caught plenty of fish 12-16 lbs. I just rinse in fresh water after each use, have not had it serviced, still as smooth as the first day and satisfied with its performance.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got a VR150, first time i took it out to the beach was two weeks ago and I love it, comes with the tool and I put the bailess  kit on it. Spooled it up with some 30lb suffix and hooked up with some 20" schoolies right away , christened it the first day out. It is smooth and lightweight, exactly what I was looking for. Only time will tell how robust it is, I got it New in the box for $400. I like that you can take it apart and service it yourself, and you can buy different size spools for it as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Dumb question maybe, but could the handle have just been coming loose and unscrewing? I ask because it’s happened to me with my VR several times with big fish on 

No it wasn’t unscrewing, it was definitely the AR not working properly. I’ll have to beat it up more to see if there is a issue. I was more impressed with the Black Hole Suzuki rod.  The rod had more balls then the reel 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, bayyaker54 said:

No it wasn’t unscrewing, it was definitely the AR not working properly. I’ll have to beat it up more to see if there is a issue. I was more impressed with the Black Hole Suzuki rod.  The rod had more balls then the reel 

What are the specs on your rod?

Edited by adams54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 6:44 PM, bayyaker54 said:

I had a weird experience last week with my 125, on Wednesday caught 7 bass up to 25lbs. The 25 blew up the AR, so I thought. I had a hard time keeping the handle from going backwards, finished the night with it and was planning to send it out for repair. Got home and  rinse it off, next day went to switch it out on my rod and it was working good. Took it out Thursday and caught 16 bass up to 20 lbs with two doubleheader schoolies no problems. I don’t know 

How long have you had the 125?  Asking because i have one of the early releases and they had some issues with the top seal and the clutch.  I fish that reel just about every day for a season.  Washed it down and put it away.  Next spring took it out and it was running rough.  Broke it down and found the clutch anti-reverse was rusted out.  Had it for over a year so out of warranty.  Easy reel to work on so after getting about $20 of parts was good as new.  Did find out from VS that they changed the seal and collar to fix the problem of which I got when I ordered the parts.  So with all that you may want to check your clutch and see if there is any rust coming out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brian, I have the 125 as mentioned in the above post, and after the repair have had no problems with it.  It's a good reel for plugging and that's all I use it for.  The one thing I didn't like about it was the slow retrieve.  Could never really fish the soft plastics the way I wanted to with it.  When they came out with the VR50 and saw the specs on weight and retrieve I ordered one.  Have now fished it for over a year and it is the best reel I've ever used.  Not a single issue with it and it gets fished heavy.  Unless you really need a larger reel, I would go for the 50 over the 125.  Just one more note on both reels.  Expect to replace the line roller if you fish a lot every year.  It's softer metal then it should be and I manage to get a groove worn into it by years end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mike. I’m putting it on a 9’ rod so the 50 really isn’t an option. I’ve heard the 125-150 have the same size body so maybe the 150 will have a better retrieve ratio. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, blind squirl said:

Thanks Mike. I’m putting it on a 9’ rod so the 50 really isn’t an option. I’ve heard the 125-150 have the same size body so maybe the 150 will have a better retrieve ratio. 

The 125, 150, 175, and 200 all use the same body.  The 50 is the only model with its own body.  Spool sizes are all different.  Rotor for the 125 and 150 are the same.  The 175 and 200 share a common rotor as well.  That’s why you can interchange the spools between the 125 and 150, but not the 125 and 200.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MC55 said:

How long have you had the 125?  Asking because i have one of the early releases and they had some issues with the top seal and the clutch.  I fish that reel just about every day for a season.  Washed it down and put it away.  Next spring took it out and it was running rough.  Broke it down and found the clutch anti-reverse was rusted out.  Had it for over a year so out of warranty.  Easy reel to work on so after getting about $20 of parts was good as new.  Did find out from VS that they changed the seal and collar to fix the problem of which I got when I ordered the parts.  So with all that you may want to check your clutch and see if there is any rust coming out.  

Yes I have the early one, thanks I’ll have to take it down a check it out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.