VR 125 Owners review

Rate this topic

blind squirl

Get something else instead. It's not as heavy duty as a normal VS or zb. Some people said the reel is good for light duty. Well, for lighter duty, you have better options than the VR. Good concept reel, on paper.  Piss poor execution. I would take the cheaper Saragossa over it any day of the week. 

It’s worth noting that the first run and second run of the VR series are very different reels.  The new ones made some much needed improvements on the first gen.  Not sure if the guys with issues above had the first run of reels or not.  

Worth noting that I have a VS and a VR.  They are different reels with different applications.  But I think the VR is a lot tougher than guys give it credit for. 

C&R

Had my VR 125 for 3 seasons now, I dunk it pretty much every time I have it out. I use my rod as a wading stick, crank it under water, and have put good sized fish on it. 0 problems at all, haven’t had it serviced at all, I do rinse it after every use but that should be done with every salt water reel.

I have had my vr175 since 2016 with no issues,  The reel gets wet/dunked 75% of the trips i take it on. One thing i wish i could change is the quiet/silent drag, just my opinion. The VR series is significantly smoother (easier to reel) then either of my VS series. 

IMG_1125.jpg.073f028276a07acdaf02549ee568ac44.jpg

I had a weird experience last week with my 125, on Wednesday caught 7 bass up to 25lbs. The 25 blew up the AR, so I thought. I had a hard time keeping the handle from going backwards, finished the night with it and was planning to send it out for repair. Got home and  rinse it off, next day went to switch it out on my rod and it was working good. Took it out Thursday and caught 16 bass up to 20 lbs with two doubleheader schoolies no problems. I don’t know 

21 hours ago, bayyaker54 said:

I had a weird experience last week with my 125, on Wednesday caught 7 bass up to 25lbs. The 25 blew up the AR, so I thought. I had a hard time keeping the handle from going backwards, finished the night with it and was planning to send it out for repair. Got home and  rinse it off, next day went to switch it out on my rod and it was working good. Took it out Thursday and caught 16 bass up to 20 lbs with two doubleheader schoolies no problems. I don’t know 

Dumb question maybe, but could the handle have just been coming loose and unscrewing? I ask because it’s happened to me with my VR several times with big fish on 

C&R