Odessa44

fluke baits

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Jig heads and gulp.  It is fluke crack.  Fresh bait is passe.  I've caught lots of fluke, including big fluke, on gulp.  Tie on a bait holder hook about 16 inches above the jig with an 8 inch leader and put on another gulp.  If you can't catch them on this, go home.

I like to cast my rigs cross current and work them to the boat reeling slowly and jigging them using wrist action so that they hop along the bottom.  There are more hard strike like this than subtle taps so be ready to hit them.

Edited by Spigola

2 hours ago, Spigola said:

Jig heads and gulp.  It is fluke crack.  Fresh bait is passe.  I've caught lots of fluke, including big fluke, on gulp.  Tie on a bait holder hook about 16 inches above the jig with an 8 inch leader and put on another gulp.  If you can't catch them on this, go home.

I like to cast my rigs cross current and work them to the boat reeling slowly and jigging them using wrist action so that they hop along the bottom.  There are more hard strike like this than subtle taps so be ready to hit them.

Bingo

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 hours ago, Spigola said:

Sounds like you are fishing in a bay. Out in the ocean, bigger jigs are necessary. I find I catch more fluke on bait, as I can fish two or three rods, plus the sea bass tear up the gulp pretty quickly. I like the classic sand eel, spearing, killie

or smelt with a skinned strip of squid. I usually use a ryder hook rig.

Edited by MakoMike

Jigs and gulp are fine. Teaser hook (7/0-9/0 bait holder) with gulp a foot and a half up is mandatory. Honestly, 80% of my fish are on the teaser. It's so skewed that I often just use a bank sinker under the teaser. So, eff jigs. Especially around sticky bottom.

I have jumped on the gulp hi/lo bucktail rig bandwagon in the last few years and its been extremely productive in many different scenarios whether its shallow bay fishing or deeper water. However, I still find that if you're really swinging for the fence and going for that double digit doormat I swear by a simple 3 way rig with either whole squid, LARGE fluke belly strip, or my personal favorite live snapper blue if you can get them. Might not get a lot of hits but if you really are going for a giant, I am a firm believer you have to go big. I always have one rod out with a large bait of some kind while bucktailing. 

A few years ago a research trawler in my local waters hauled up at 16 pound fluke with a massive belly and inside its belly were what appeared to be MULTIPLE adult menhaden or porgy. Really goes to show how these plus sized fluke are similar to striped bass in that while they might go for a smaller bait or presentation once in a while, they are still opportunistic feeders and would rather spend less energy and feed on a single larger prey less often. Catching smaller fluke can be fun and keeps the action going throughout the day but like many others catching "the big one" is the ultimate goal and I find fishing BIG baits with at leas one rod has been my go to for the last few years. 

A buddy of mine gets salmon belly strips for the local fish market. Salmon color with high fat content. He uses big strips looking for big frukes . 

1 hour ago, Kml said:

A buddy of mine gets salmon belly strips for the local fish market. Salmon color with high fat content. He uses big strips looking for big frukes . 

Sounds like a good idea. Some of the bottom longliners I used to know used dogfish strips.