Odessa44

Frontier x 2-6 compared to 3-8

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

42 mins ago, Odessa44 said:

has anyone casted the odm frontier x 2-6 and 3-8 which did u like better thoughts on both rods?

I have not casted either one but,thats a spread in weights,depends on what you'll need/be doing with it.

HH

it just doesn't make sense to me, with rod companies, a rod rated 2-6 oz.SHOULD be able to cast and throw its lure rating, up to 6 oz., why have 3-8 oz. rods ??, how many, 6, 6.5oz. plugs do guys have and own !? the biggest, i own are 5.5 oz.,,,LOL, really, think about it, 2-6 is really all you need, if the rod is TRULY a 2-6, then no need for 3-8, what are some rods companies saying about their rods then, its either rated correctly 2-6, or not....

34 mins ago, lureman said:

it just doesn't make sense to me, with rod companies, a rod rated 2-6 oz.SHOULD be able to cast and throw its lure rating, up to 6 oz., why have 3-8 oz. rods ??, how many, 6, 6.5oz. plugs do guys have and own !? the biggest, i own are 5.5 oz.,,,LOL, really, think about it, 2-6 is really all you need, if the rod is TRULY a 2-6, then no need for 3-8, what are some rods companies saying about their rods then, its either rated correctly 2-6, or not....

I was using GRS Troller Pikie's last night

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, lureman said:

Not to mention canal guys throwing 5-6 oz heads plus 1 oz bodies. But agreed that 2-6 should be a real 2-6.

Edited by xjclint

Lure rating is the indication of what sizes of lure you cast as well as stiffness of the rods. For example, you'd better use 3 - 8 oz rods for canal jigging instead of 2 - 6 oz rods though you cast jigs upto 6 oz. 

On 4/21/2019 at 4:46 PM, Odessa44 said:

has anyone casted the odm frontier x 2-6 and 3-8 which did u like better thoughts on both rods?

I have casted both Frontier x 2-6 and the 3-8. Both feel the same. Very easy to cast which my back thanks alot. I prefer the 2-6 because that is the range of lures I mainly use. Both will throw claimed lure ratings effortlessly. The 3-8, like kilsong said is better suited for the Canal or chunking for big stripers or sharks. 

I will be getting the frontier x 8'6 when its back in stock lol. Thats a sweet setup when matched with the VR50. 

Edited by CrashHard23

I own a Custom NXFX-1066  Frontier X with a 6" butt extension, making it a 11' rod; with 28" butt- center of reel seat. These rods will deliver there full lure range lure range no problem. The other day I was using 2 and 3oz. pencil poppers at false light. This is what I had in my surf bag last night. A  3oz. AH Popper and Euro Jett diving Donny -  4 3/4oz. Mikes Head Banger Beast Darter  -  Mikes 3 3/4oz. 11"Jointed Herring Troller  -  5 5/8oz.  Linesider 69 Pikies  -  6 3/4oz. GRS Slim Troller.

P4300590.JPG.a91e0523a73060671ed4fc983eb0b9a4.JPG

P4300591.JPG.5dd2a38d4d0b15642571955a87d3dfba.JPG

P4300592.JPG.c43d6e4b82b424576902b65a2a6e1522.JPG

Go to a rod casting demo; that way no one can BS you.

Lou T

21 hours ago, Lou T said:

I was using GRS Troller Pikie's last night

sure,but how many do you have, HOW MANY 6 OZ. OR MORE PLUGS DO YOU OWN, how many, ounces, ?, other than the CCC, 3-8 OZ.,and even at the CCC, are not necessary, for the most plugging,jigging is of a totally different animal of a rod, if a rod is truly rated 2-6, and can throw and cast its rating,

21 hours ago, ksong said:

Lure rating is the indication of what sizes of lure you cast as well as stiffness of the rods. For example, you'd better use 3 - 8 oz rods for canal jigging instead of 2 - 6 oz rods though you cast jigs upto 6 oz. 

casting jigs, is one thing, but to my way and others way of thinking, the rods ability to lift, hold, and allow to flutter back down are a more important consideration, than casting....

1 hour ago, lureman said:

sure,but how many do you have, HOW MANY 6 OZ. OR MORE PLUGS DO YOU OWN, how many, ounces, ?, other than the CCC, 3-8 OZ.,and even at the CCC, are not necessary, for the most plugging,jigging is of a totally different animal of a rod, if a rod is truly rated 2-6, and can throw and cast its rating,

More than I care to admit.

For the life of me I can not see the point you trying to make here. What contributing information have you added to the OP thread?

I have test cast both of these rods and can tell you for a fact that both the rods rating are accurate. 

My Custom NXFX-1066  Frontier X 2-6 is a great all around plugging rod. It can send a 2oz. pencil a country mile. The drag rating is more than the average guy would want to deal with. But when you need it its there for you, and the rods parabolic bend makes it easy on you and a pleasure to fish.  Put 55 lb test on your reel and see what 18 pounds of drag feels like, and the rod still has more juice with a rating of 22 pounds of drag; now that's just wild. You would need 70 pound test line to be safe. The rod will handle it but can you. I still rate this rod as moderate action. My rod is going on three years now and has served me well.

Do not try to match the above drag ratings with a fast action rod that locks up three quarters of the way up. It may cast OK, with just the tip working. But that type of rod is no pleasure to fish. It's just going to kill you.

If I wanted a bait rod, and could only have one. It would be a 12' Jigster for the ocean. Rated at 5-12oz; its a very easy loading rod. Then no man can have just one rod, so a 10'-6" or 11' for bay or pier fishing.

Lou T

Edited by Lou T

6 hours ago, Lou T said:

More than I care to admit.

For the life of me I can not see the point you trying to make here. What contributing information have you added to the OP thread?

Lou T, this has nothing to reflect ODM Rods, i am sure the rods can cast and throw their lure rating, i retract that, i am POSITIVE, ODM Rods, can cast their rating, i am just stating that over time all rod companies, have changed for the better, years years back a 3-8, or 4-8 rods were used for bait fishing, today rod companies use the 3-8 rating, for larger plugs, but all the same, not many plugs, are over 6 oz. to justify 3,4-8 rating, even at the CCC, some of the bigger plugs used are big stick shads, magic swimmers,or large darters, are not over 6 oz., yes jigs used there are even are 4-7 at most.... but then rods of bigger ratings are used....

Can’t speak on the 3-8 but I’ve used the 2-6 for 2 full seasons as my primary rod for plugging beaches.  Nice moderate action, recovers fast and has a good amount of power for how thin/light the blank is but in no way do I consider this a 2-6.. more like 1-4. IMHO 4oz should be a 2-6 rated rods sweet spot and 4 is really the top end of this model.  Not the rod I’m reaching for when throwing heavy rigged or live eels in the 3-5oz range.  

I find this model to thrive on loaded redfins, ss darters... stuff like that 

Between me and my buddies we have all different ODM'S, I've had a little time on a bunch of them

To me, they all cast their range,  they are all light.  Different series you'll get different action or recovery.  But in that series,  they'll just cast heavier or lighter.  Just pick the one where the most plugs you plan on using match up to the middle of the range.