BarryW

Squid boats

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Okay. I'll start this annual thread as I took the boat out in Portland harbor yesterday and water temp was already at 48(!). 

I'm hoping to drop in vineyard sound next weekend and some squid activity would be great news.

I use a friend with long arms who can hold the bucket out far from the gunnel. ;-)

I wonder if there is a net device you can dump them into that hangs over the side and keeps them fresh and depletes their ink. They have ridiculous amounts of ink.

Well, made it out into Vineyard Sound on Sunday for squid. No joy. Lot's of draggers running lanes but their nets were pretty empty (except for the acres of large scup by catch). H2O temp was 53 degrees, a good number. Some ponies around but scattered. Lots of gannets which were cool to sea.

Ended the day with our limit of Tog which was a good opening day to have. But I still taste fresh squid in my mind. No sign of bass in the backwaters, which had a high reading of 55.4 degrees.

1 hour ago, BarryW said:

Well, made it out into Vineyard Sound on Sunday for squid. No joy. Lot's of draggers running lanes but their nets were pretty empty (except for the acres of large scup by catch). H2O temp was 53 degrees, a good number. Some ponies around but scattered. Lots of gannets which were cool to sea.

Ended the day with our limit of Tog which was a good opening day to have. But I still taste fresh squid in my mind. No sign of bass in the backwaters, which had a high reading of 55.4 degrees.

Thx for the SST's........:)