NCRed44

Penn Quit using a oversized reel foot on your Bigger size spinning reels!

8 posts in this topic

Penn Quit using a oversized reel foot on your Bigger size spinning reels!

It starts on the 5500/6500 sized spinning reels. I noticed some rods start to

have trouble with the thickness of the reel foot.  Then the 7500/8500 size reels

The reel foot will barely fit any amount into the reel seat on some rods.

i dont feel its safe to fish. The 10500 reel is even worse. Now if I use a penn rod

it fits great.  But penn doesn't make some rods I would like to use. So

I have considered using a file to the reel foot. But I don't want to do that.

Why can't you make your reel foot the same size as a similar sized shimano

reel?  

Edited by NCRed44

I have an Okumo 11' 3 to 8 oz. All my big Penns fit on it great, 704z, 850ss, I have never had a problem with that. I agree with bennie, I'd never red neck a Penn.

Edited by hunter123

I have the same reel foot problem with my Penn SSV5500 going onto my 9ft Tsunami airwave.  I practically have to shove it in, and the reel seat screw barely takes a full turn to lock it in.

Guys - It ultimately comes down to the rod manufacturers. We base our foot designs off of what we use on our rods (and the majority of the market uses as well). There are so many specialized rods, using different reel seats that it will make your head spin. It also comes down to the fact that reel "sizes" between manufacturers do not line up, so consistency in the market place is small. Guys also like to use different size reels for different rods.

I hear your concern for the particular setups, but the reality of the situation is that if we make the feet smaller, we would have the opposite end of the spectrum saying that the reels no longer fit as well. Best recommendation is (if possible) try to match them up prior to a purchase. 

Ben