Germany April 20th. 2019

Rate this topic

Marcel_Karssies

It was a warm and quite windy day with a lot of insect activity .
I spotted a lot of grannom and hawthorn flies so I tied on a CDC F-fly and went looking for rising or surface feeding fish.
There was a lot of debris on the water and the fish which I spotted where rather picky. 
I managed to catch a few dace but a lot of offerings where bluntly ignored.
There where some larger fish in the slow moving stretch I fished which I believed where trout as they behaved differently than the dace.
One of these fish was on stationary near the opposite bank I fished and went for the F-fly as it came into view, unfortunately not a solid hookup.

With the arrival of the crowds I choose a more secluded spot and switched to fishing a small nymph.
I could spot a lot of fish behind some debris and caught several roach from under the submerged brushes.
Again I spotted a trout and got wind from the local anglers that the stretch had been recently stocked.
I ended the day in the forrest where surface activity dictated the use of a dry fly.
Dace where feeding actively in one spot but I missed almost every take because these fish where so fast in taking the fly and rejecting it.
At one spot I missed the take of a larger trout but when I returned a while later and had a second go I got a good hookup.
The warm weather has been good for the fishing and I expect to see more activity in the coming time.

P1020507.JPG

P1020509.JPG

P1020510.JPG

P1020512.JPG

P1020517.JPG

P1020520.JPG

P1020523.JPG

P1020525.JPG

P1020531.JPG

P1020532.JPG

P1020536.JPG

P1020544.JPG

P1020547.JPG

P1020550.JPG

P1020553.JPG

P1020554.JPG

P1020559.JPG

9 hours ago, Marcel_Karssies said:

Eh ... all of them ... exceptions are legal size / slot size or let's say a fish species you did not
target but caught anyway.

interesting, sounds like there are some big loop holes with the "target species" definition.  Do you find the populations remain strong with a lot of release?

Depends on the species, most of the trout are clubbered out of the water as soon as they are stocked so that species will never recover.

The once natural reproducing population is lots to the regs, environmental impact and fishing pressure of modern times.

Most of the other species are not of interest to meat anglers except maybe eels but those are threatened due to overfishing and not around anymore in the numbers they used to be.

23 hours ago, Marcel_Karssies said:

Depends on the species, most of the trout are clubbered out of the water as soon as they are stocked so that species will never recover.

The once natural reproducing population is lots to the regs, environmental impact and fishing pressure of modern times.

Most of the other species are not of interest to meat anglers except maybe eels but those are threatened due to overfishing and not around anymore in the numbers they used to be.

interesting, thanks for the first hand info