bassturds

New species!

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

guy broke the state record for them this past weekend...almost 12 pounds, if I remember correctly....seems weird to hold a state record for something that was stocked within days. 

On 4/20/2019 at 8:55 PM, bassturds said:

Last weekend got out after some new species! Went with my buddy for some white cats on Friday night! We got 6 each! We also caught a bullhead, eel and a perch! 

Saturday I went down to RI for opening day! We wanted to chase the elusive stocked trout as well as bass! Super pumped! Got my first golden rainbow! I forget the other name for it!  My buddy and I both caught our firsts! We got some rainbows to! 

Great weekend!  2 new species crossed off the bucket list 

2D3E6B39-9A00-488E-A091-AE9A7049AC01.jpeg

26B0009E-1DC0-4313-A373-85CCD2233004.jpeg

AFDE9B00-5958-42CA-AE05-A0C9FF9E097F.jpeg

love that trout!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nice to see that the white cats are still there at that spot. I thought for sure that the end of the warm water discharge would end their holding over the winter here. What's the trick to targeting them?

Edited by EchoSierra

On 5/5/2019 at 6:18 AM, EchoSierra said:

Nice to see that the white cats are still there at that spot. I thought for sure that the end of the warm water discharge would end their holding over the winter here. What's the trick to targeting them?

We used dead shiners on bottom! That’s it

The salmonoids are so incredibly diverse.  Golden rainbows, golden trout out west, the Sunapee in a very confined area, you name it.  The guys on "Fish or Die" (I watched a few episodes, not going to bother with it again) were in Mongolia for taimen in the last episode. No doubt they'll wind up fishing huchen in the Caucasus, or something ...

On 5/7/2019 at 5:01 PM, BrianBM said:

The salmonoids are so incredibly diverse.  Golden rainbows, golden trout out west, the Sunapee in a very confined area, you name it.  The guys on "Fish or Die" (I watched a few episodes, not going to bother with it again) were in Mongolia for taimen in the last episode. No doubt they'll wind up fishing huchen in the Caucasus, or something ...

Rio grande trout , dolly varden, gila trout, Apache trout  cut throat, bull and cherry salmon! Such a diverse species! 

22 mins ago, Jschumacher said:

Nice Palemino Mike. They are cool looking. Congrats on knocking them and the White Cats off the bucket list

Thanks bud! Now on to my other bucketlist fish 

As an FYI, for those that are interested. The trout pictured has a few different common names. It is a color morph of the rainbow trout species. Known in the east primarily as a palomino trout. Out here in california they have a similar strain they call a lightning trout. It’s basically a genetic abnormality of the rainbow trout that can be be specifically bred. 

On 5/13/2019 at 0:16 PM, bassturds said:

Thanks bud! Now on to my other bucketlist fish 

What is the next bucket list fish your going after?  I challenge myself to try to catch at least one new species this year. I want to try for weakfish and trigger fish this year. 

9 mins ago, z-man said:

What is the next bucket list fish your going after?  I challenge myself to try to catch at least one new species this year. I want to try for weakfish and trigger fish this year. 

Mhmmmmm good question! I’m going after carp this weekend. I need to break  10lbs!  But new species I’m hunting this year is koi and bowfin 

On 5/6/2019 at 11:37 AM, bassturds said:

I was just at that spot (where you caught the white cat) last night. I didn't catch any cats, but I think the river was full of small eels since my baits kept getting gnawed off, leaving just the head on the hook. I caught one eel that decided to be greedy so it got hooked. I used silversides since I didn't have any shiners.

On 5/6/2019 at 11:37 AM, bassturds said:

Buy a pound of shrimp at the fish market and try them on the bottom Cats and horn pout love them

5 hours ago, EchoSierra said:

I was just at that spot (where you caught the white cat) last night. I didn't catch any cats, but I think the river was full of small eels since my baits kept getting gnawed off, leaving just the head on the hook. I caught one eel that decided to be greedy so it got hooked. I used silversides since I didn't have any shiners.

I went Memorial Day weekend! We got a few whites. Big one was 5lbs! Bunch of eels