Bow390

proper way to release fish from the beach

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any tips on the proper way to release a fish from the beach? I feel like dragging them on the sand will only hurt them but it's hard not to do when the waves are pushing onshore.

Last week the fellow next to me landed a 25 plus pound drum. He was wearing boots and I wore waders so I helped him. Long story short I had fish grippers with me which really helped in releasing the fish and would be really helpful with toothy fish.

As far as Stripers I got to fish with a Marine Biologist over the last few years . He studies the stock of fish in Delmarva. All fish have a slim coating on them to protect from several things . The big one is infection. Over the last several years a lot of bass caught in this area have had ( Rock rash ) not the scientific name but common name . They as the Marine Biologists  think this is caused from a few things one spawning. Since it eliminates a lot of the slime . So bringing or dragging a fish through sand cannot be good for fish . So I try to release the fish in at least 1 ft of water if possible. Hope this helps . I’m sure some people will chim in with some negative comments but I’m only trying to help 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Boga Grip/ Fish gripper is the best tool here. Fight the fish to your feet.  While fish is still in water apply the boga grip.   This controls the fish and allows you to remove hooks without the fish going crazy and hooking itself worse.   I can’t belive I went as long as I did without my boga. This has been an incredible tool for me and makes the release way easier. 

Edited by jsbergen
Information

I actually just picked up a new fish gripper as the handle on my old one has a piece broken off. I'll keep the old one in my surf bag, What was cool on the packing of the new one it stated, please don't lift the fish by the mouth as it dislodges organs please support the belly area or words to that effect. 

On 4/20/2019 at 7:53 PM, the3fishheads said:

I seen a few guys put the boot to them. 

Dont do that. 

Do you write warning labels for consumer products?  

I always try to release back in the water, whether it be fresh or salt.

Small fish that you can hold in your hand, wet your hand before holding fish.

Big fish, lip grip when feasible, support the weight of the body to reduce possible jaw injury, and revive if fish needs it.

Why hurt any fish that you don't plan on keeping?

48 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

Do you write warning labels for consumer products?  

WARNING:

Kicking bass may result in a dorsal spike in your big toe. 

I usually toss schoolies if they’re still green just because I figure it’s better to just get a green fish back in ASAP and save the revive for worn out or bigger fish.

On 4/22/2019 at 0:37 PM, the3fishheads said:

WARNING:

Kicking bass may result in a dorsal spike in your big toe. 

Or a steel-toe cowboy boot to the crotch!