DutchGFX

Tackle Backpacks?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

My 1038583th n00b thread I've started in the past few months, so sorry about that....

Wondering if anyone here uses a tackle backpack, and if so, which ones? I'm taking a trip to Florida and I'm thinking about getting one for walking around the beaches.

I want the Flambeau Portage, but some reviews say the strap breaks really easily, which obviously isn't ideal. I want to be able to store a good bit of gear, so something like the Plano Z-Series is too small. Even the Shimano Blackmoon might not be ideal since I need one double deep tray for big plugs.

Two main contenders right now are 

- Flamebeau Portage

- Spiderwire Backpack

Any ideas and input would be great :)

Thanks SOL 

I  have used baseball backpacks for years.they have 2 nice bat holders on each side that you can put pvc in to carry 2 rods. Most all will take 3600 series boxes and many will take 3700 series boxes and still have room for food and drink. Most sporting good stores have a good selection this time of year. Most of these bags are heavy duty.

Don’t use one specifically made for fishing but I use a waterproof backpack that was designed for whitewater rafting. It’s got only one large compartment but I can jamb everything I need into it, including waders. It’s made of rubberized material and seems to be quite durable. Bought it on close out many years ago and it has served me well.

28 mins ago, chris koltz said:

I  have used baseball backpacks for years.they have 2 nice bat holders on each side that you can put pvc in to carry 2 rods. Most all will take 3600 series boxes and many will take 3700 series boxes and still have room for food and drink. Most sporting good stores have a good selection this time of year. Most of these bags are heavy duty.

How many boxes can you fit?

2 mins ago, DutchGFX said:

How many boxes can you fit?

4 to 6 depending on bag. The fleabay will give you idea of sizes. I take boxes in and try them in some stores, at %icks sporting goods I try theirs in the bags. I have a older Demarini brand bag I use to transport back up boxes line etc that  I keep at rental that holds 7 - 3700 plano boxes

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, chris koltz said:

4 to 6 depending on bag. The fleabay will give you idea of sizes. I take boxes in and try them in some stores, at %icks sporting goods I try theirs in the bags. I have a older Demarini brand bag I use to transport back up boxes line etc that  I keep at rental that holds 7 - 3700 plano boxes

A backpack that holds 7 boxes? Holy **** that's wild. Does it have extra pouches? I'm worried about waterproofing but not terribly worried. Do you have pictures?

Edited by DutchGFX

All you need is a medium size  backpack.  You start carrying multiple boxes with loads of gear in the heat and sun your going to fatigue and your shoulers will kill you.  You don't need alot of stuff.  I am mobile all the time, beaches, canals, piers putting in hours a session.  If you can't fit it in 1 plano box forget it.  A handful of things will pretty much catch everything you will encounter.

This is how I carry.  With pliers and boga in the pack, room to carry water with the bladder. Or a bottle on each side.  Leader material and knife etc.  In the small outer pocket.  And don't worry about waterproof you will barely wade over your thighs.

20190420_211919.jpg

6 mins ago, beatonem said:

All you need is a medium size  backpack.  You start carrying multiple boxes with loads of gear in the heat and sun your going to fatigue and your shoulers will kill you.  You don't need alot of stuff.  I am mobile all the time, beaches, canals, piers putting in hours a session.  If you can't fit it in 1 plano box forget it.  A handful of things will pretty much catch everything you will encounter.

This is how I carry.  With pliers and boga in the pack, room to carry water with the bladder. Or a bottle on each side.  Leader material and knife etc.  In the small outer pocket.  And don't worry about waterproof you will barely wade over your thighs.

20190420_211919.jpg

I've got 4 Planos lol. Big plugs, spoons and bucktails, small plugs and soft plastics, terminal tackle. Lots of different species to target where i fish in carribean and plan to fish in Florida. I wish I could condense to 1. I can probably do 3, but no less. This is going to be all of my tackle for the trip, not just one outing, otherwise I would agree.

Daiwa has a newly issued backback with a frame for 3500 boxes and (I think) one 3600 box. To get a tackle case sized for 3700 boxes, alas, you've got to spend serious money on a rigid box. 

1 hour ago, DutchGFX said:

What brand? Where? 

Links aren't allowed here so just do a Google search on "fishing backpack". A couple dozen will come up.

My son has used old baseball ones in the past.  Lately he's found the tactical backpacks are the thing.   Using the Molle attachment system for adding things. 

I've been using an Abu Garcia fishing backpack like this one for the last five years. Very durable....zippers never corrode....so many useful features.......just not sure if they are making this model anymore.

925430d5c04af960cb1389e8d7d62ad5.jpg