cow tamer

Strategy for Targeting Early Spring Keepers

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

So, early spring brings the first push of stripers which tend to be on the small side. But there's a few LARGE in the mix.

How do you go about targeting the bigger fish in the mix? Is it a night time game? What lures are you throwing?

The other night the small fish were hitting the teaser and bigger fish were hitting a magdarter. But the next night they wouldn’t touch a plug and I was catching 15 to 25 lb fish on a storm shad and the teaser. Lots of bunker around the second night

The other night the small fish were hitting the teaser and bigger fish were hitting a magdarter. But the next night they wouldn’t touch a plug and I was catching 15 to 25 lb fish on a storm shad and the teaser. Lots of bunker around the second night

15lb on the teaser, 20lb on the magdarter, and 25lb on the rubber 

134110BA-D71F-4B6A-B2CC-2B6CFBA101C9.jpeg

7E3F5904-8137-4222-B1A7-6E7D56C4B0FF.jpeg

D540DE66-8A8C-40A9-8E0C-91A8E94765D0.jpeg

If the conditions and area are conducive to chunking and I knew large fish were around, I would be tossing fresh bunker heads over any plug I can think off.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

28 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

where re you.....early is relative. 

“Early” Is during the first few weeks of the start of striper activity for the area in which you fish.

Edited by cow tamer

3 hours ago, bayyaker54 said:

15lb on the teaser, 20lb on the magdarter, and 25lb on the rubber 

134110BA-D71F-4B6A-B2CC-2B6CFBA101C9.jpeg

7E3F5904-8137-4222-B1A7-6E7D56C4B0FF.jpeg

D540DE66-8A8C-40A9-8E0C-91A8E94765D0.jpeg

Good question from the OP. I fished next to Bayyaker this week at least once, probably more. The key to large fish was waiting until it was dark/ clouds on the full moon and at least an hour after last light. Shorts were biting beforehand but BIGGER profiles were the key. It was a great week. I didn't have a photographer the whole time but it was excellent. 

20190420_184951.jpg

20190420_185612.jpg

my strategy is to fish the channel edges adjacent to shallows.

swimming medium to large wood low and slow kinda like always.

if nothing is doing there I go shallow and throw plastic plugs,smaller wood and rubber to cover it all.

almost always get into something with one being good.

large mag darter,ss darter,my small swimmers and 5-8 inch rubber/bucktails up to an ounce.

HH

1 hour ago, xjclint said:

Night time, bigger profiles near herring runs.

sounds too simple but bigger lures / baits bigger fish... i never get schoolies on 3-4on plugs, whole macs or whole herring :)

7 hours ago, nicknotsebastian said:

sounds too simple but bigger lures / baits bigger fish... i never get schoolies on 3-4on plugs, whole macs or whole herring :)

Good advise:)

Bigger profile baits would be key in my head. Low and slow though, yesterday I tossed everything I could in my bag and couldn't buy a bite. Last lure I threw, what did they want? A damn 5 inch blurple sinking needlefish. I had to CRAWL it.

15 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Bigger profile baits would be key in my head. Low and slow though, yesterday I tossed everything I could in my bag and couldn't buy a bite. Last lure I threw, what did they want? A damn 5 inch blurple sinking needlefish. I had to CRAWL it.

Almost every builder with whom I've fished has said that folks "fish everything too fast".  They were referring to EVERY builder's plugs, not just their own.