jjdbike

BGE / Kamado style grill / smoker options

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Roughly 5-8 yrs ago I bought a generic BGE knock off on clearance.

Classic example of penny wise & dollar foolish. It’s been breaking down & falling apart  bit by bit for years. 

If id have spent a few hundred dollars more, I could have had the lifetime warranty of the genuine BGE. 

I don’t wanna cheap out & regret it again. That being said, I don’t know how long we’ll be in our current home as my wife & I are considering moving when we retire to be near kids & grand kids (IN or CA). Don’t know how wise spending a ton on a grill that we may not  be around to use for all that many years in the future.

Currently, what good options exist and how do they stack up quality, functionality & cost effectiveness? I do have a good deal of BGE accessories so similar shape & size would be a bonus.

What good options do you folks like? 

JD

34 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Roughly 5-8 yrs ago I bought a generic BGE knock off on clearance.

Classic example of penny wise & dollar foolish. It’s been breaking down & falling apart  bit by bit for years. 

If id have spent a few hundred dollars more, I could have had the lifetime warranty of the genuine BGE. 

I don’t wanna cheap out & regret it again. That being said, I don’t know how long we’ll be in our current home as my wife & I are considering moving when we retire to be near kids & grand kids (IN or CA). Don’t know how wise spending a ton on a grill that we may not  be around to use for all that many years in the future.

Currently, what good options exist and how do they stack up quality, functionality & cost effectiveness? I do have a good deal of BGE accessories so similar shape & size would be a bonus.

What good options do you folks like? 

JD

Buy an egg.  Or a Kamado Joe.  They are very similar.  Resale on them is very good.  

I have a Green egg.  I am going to go light it right now-a fatty for easter brunch.

Ehh, dont get a Joe.  Its red.  Your Kamado should be GREEN,

3 hours ago, Little said:

Buy an egg.  Or a Kamado Joe.  They are very similar.  Resale on them is very good.  

I have a Green egg.  I am going to go light it right now-a fatty for easter brunch.

Ehh, dont get a Joe.  Its red.  Your Kamado should be GREEN,

A fatty on 4/20? What are you smoking? A ham?

Please let us know how you did it & how it turns out.

I just lit mine (8:00 pm 4/30). Planning on putting hamon at 9:00 pm, or when I can stabilize temp between 205 & 230.

It’s A 22lb fresh ham. Dry brined, injected, & rubber.

Dinner is at 4:00 pm tomorrow. 

I’m very excited, this is my 1st long smoke.

I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

JD

Its a fatty.  Look up sausage fatty on the web, you need pics and stuff.  "Bacon Explosion".

Make it the night before and chill.  Slice it and microwave it back to warm.

Its obscene on a biscuit.

bacon-wrapped-stuffed-sausage-fatty.png

OMG!!!

I’m so jealous.

I generally go to bed between 7 & 8, get up between 3 & 4 am. I’m a teacher on spring break.

its 9pm & I’m gonna be up every couple of hours checking smoker & basting.

I could some of that tonight ;  )

Enjoy & Happy Easter!

JD

Given the choice between a BGE and a KJ I'd opt for the latter. Kamado Joe has great customer as does the BGE, but if you like accessories the KJ would be the one for you. 

1 hour ago, Big Biscuit said:

Given the choice between a BGE and a KJ I'd opt for the latter. Kamado Joe has great customer as does the BGE, but if you like accessories the KJ would be the one for you. 

I just bought the one piece multi tier "rig" for my egg.  Its wicked cool.  

Its their answer to the stuff from ceramic grill accessories

But yeah Kamado Joe comes with that.  Price is about the same all in though.

BUT, we should engage in full disclosure here.  The makers of Kamado Joe are former Big Green Egg employees who copied the Green Egg concept and ran off to start their own thing.  So you know, its your thing, and Im down with it, you know, if you like supporting traitors and thieves, thats your thing....:laugh:

Truth-not too long ago, Green Egg added ZERO accessories to the sale.  I mean it was nuts.  No plate setter, at one point they didnt even add a daisy wheel cap.  Thats what drove these two guys to start their own thing.

GREEN!  GREEN I SAY!

5 hours ago, Little said:

I just bought the one piece multi tier "rig" for my egg.  Its wicked cool.  

Its their answer to the stuff from ceramic grill accessories

But yeah Kamado Joe comes with that.  Price is about the same all in though.

BUT, we should engage in full disclosure here.  The makers of Kamado Joe are former Big Green Egg employees who copied the Green Egg concept and ran off to start their own thing.  So you know, its your thing, and Im down with it, you know, if you like supporting traitors and thieves, thats your thing....:laugh:

Truth-not too long ago, Green Egg added ZERO accessories to the sale.  I mean it was nuts.  No plate setter, at one point they didnt even add a daisy wheel cap.  Thats what drove these two guys to start their own thing.

GREEN!  GREEN I SAY!

Interesting.

Thanks for the info.

JD

I've got two old "Kamado" brand kamados... The company is no longer in buisness... Great product, lousy buisness practices... The grills are all 3/8" SS... All the metal on them is SS, except for a couple of bolts... My largest one must weigh 700-800#s... Tough to move even with the wheeels...You could get them tilled with just about any mosaic tile made (Match your pool tile?)... I didn't want the tile, just something to go wrong, and It did with a friends Kamado.. All the tile came off, and the company was nowhere to be found... It still works great, just not so pretty any more... I also have a 45 year old Imperial and a steel kamado style Broil King Keg...

Butch

Posted (edited) · Report post

Obviously different price and style but for smoking I like a Weber Smokey Mountain. I do use fan for temp control and I most frequently use hanging racks to smoke.. 

Edited by FishingIsGood

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, FishingIsGood said:

Obviously different price and style but for smoking I like a Weber Smokey Mountain. I do use fan for temp control and I most frequently use hanging racks to smoke.. 

Can you please share a little more info about the fan for temp control?

Can it also do high heat wood -fired pizzas?

JD

Edited by jjdbike

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

JD

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Regulator-Standard-Adapter-Mountain/dp/B00A7F1B60/ref=asc_df_B00A7F1B60/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=225805474295&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2459633215532743811&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9025389&hvtargid=pla-384316735375&psc=1

above is a link to the fan I purchased. Very easy install, just set the temp and the fan supplies air as needed to maintain.

I think you can buy after market add ons to convert into pizza oven, but I don’t have experience using these. 

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/grill-attachments/8013139?x429=true&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7cLw_uf84QIVl4nICh0AhwLwEAQYASABEgL9hPD_BwE

On 5/2/2019 at 5:09 AM, jjdbike said:

JD

I have a bbq guru product, it does not go hot enough.  Its like 375 I think.  Pizza hot is just "WFO"

5 hours ago, Little said:

I have a bbq guru product, it does not go hot enough.  Its like 375 I think.  Pizza hot is just "WFO"

Thanks,

yup, wo