bob_G

Car body work intel needed

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

My wife's new car tangled with a shopping cart. :( The car was parked, and the wind blew an errant shopping cart about 75 yards across the lot and into both passenger side doors.

I examined it closely. No dents or body damage. However both doors sustained some minor scratches. Minor stuff, but noticeable.  Plus its a new car.

Not going to file a claim. I'll pay for it. But can these be buffed out or will the doors need to be repainted? Also, any recommendations on a shop?

I've used discount auto body in Wareham a couple times, Manny did a good job & priced it right. They are right near Robertson's and Wareham Ford.

7 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

I've used discount auto body in Wareham a couple times, Manny did a good job & priced it right. They are right near Robertson's and Wareham Ford.

Know the place. He did some work for me years ago and it was fine. 

Thanks. 

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

He did some work for me years ago and it was fine. 

If insurance is paying the bill there may be better places. If your paying yourself, the prices at Manny's place are very palatable. I'm not picky about aftermarket parts and such and buffing is purely labor. If it was a 65 mustang rag top or the like, I'd probably go to a higher end shop. Buffing out scratches may only cost a few hundred and not worthy of a claim???

I know you said your not claiming but if they can't buff and do in fact have to repaint, the bill grows fast and a claim may still be a viable option. Take it in for an estimate.

Ask your dealer who they use. All auto dealers have a guys that does scratches and dings that is not employed by the dealer. They are usually a freelancer that will fix minor problems for under $100.

Edited by MakoMike

Bob  spray some water on scratch, if they disappear then it only scratched in the clear coat. To check if deep scratch use your finger nail , if it catches its too deep to buff out

I have a couple deep scratches in my camaro.   Guy at my usual shop (it's sad that I have a usual body shop)  said that if it's through the paint to the primer they can't buff it out and need to paint.     

I was picking up auto body supplies in my area very recently, and the rumor is that shops are hurting for work.   Apparently, insurance companies are totaling more and more cars, which would tend to affect collision repair businesses.  

These days, if you pop an air bag, you’re going to approach a situation where the car could be totaled.   It’s insane, seeing as a reputable repair shop can repair almost any metal body damage, and the replaceable parts (airbags, dash pieces, etc.) are what makes the damage costs go over the edge...

I’m hoping this won’t affect me terribly. I’m in the midst of welding panel patches and doing bodywork on my Wrangler.   The plan is to bring it to a shop to have it painted...