Al Sears

HogFish

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Tampa/St Pete  Hubbards Marine at St Johns pass running charters/head Boats and have been catching some nice size Hog Fish, Ugly as hell but great eating, as per fishing report /photo in St Pete paper

What!!! this isnt your report WTH.. where are the pictures/stories ..... LOL... the charters there are on my bucket list...ahhhh..:laugh:

Ate it for the first time last year on Anna Maria Island (The Ugly Grouper had it as a special), and hands down the best tasting fish I’ve had. Had never even heard of it before. 

Took my son on the 12 hour trip.  5 hogfish caught.  Really cool fish but Mostly grunts porgies etc.  This is the open boat I go on.  Top flight operation in all aspects.  Talking to the mates and captain fishing isn't nearly what it used to be.  2 -3 hour ride to wack on 10in fish you can catch on any pier or jetty.  Just wasn't what I expected.

Rod, sorry  am  old school an have no idea of cut and paste and all that stuff,, printer scan   does not work or again operator (me )

Any way Photo  was a customer who caught a near state record  Hog Fish at 17+ Lbs , few oz off ,, how deep, lure ,bait didn't say in article

Next trip to Keys, a Real Good place to stop in for cool one good food is called ""Hog Fish  Bar & Grill "" On Stock Island  Sign on wall reads  ""If your here it is because a local told you""   True it is well hidden Gem

The regulations for Hogfish in Florida, had me scratching my head. East coast,Gulf coast, Monroe county? Last year caught some nice Hogfish on shrimp/jighead and fortunately took two home and ate them. One of the best fish i've eaten! This year, the regulations in the Keys (Monroe county) are all too clear, and the season was closed for the month I was there. Oh well.   

regulations on most of our gamefish are like that... you need to have the rule book out for your area or you can get into trouble with FWC if they are there..

I try to remember them, but they seem to change something new every year:beatin:

23 hours ago, beatonem said:

Took my son on the 12 hour trip.  5 hogfish caught.  Really cool fish but Mostly grunts porgies etc.  This is the open boat I go on.  Top flight operation in all aspects.  Talking to the mates and captain fishing isn't nearly what it used to be.  2 -3 hour ride to wack on 10in fish you can catch on any pier or jetty.  Just wasn't what I expected.

While I'm sure Hubbards runs a decent operation. I would not take a boat ride for grunts, kinda bait and switch..The headboats are a joke in Florida, as are some charter captains....just my .02

Best way To stay on top of things is with the “fish rules” app.

it knows where you are and knows the refs for that area

its gold

12 hours ago, Canal Raider said:

While I'm sure Hubbards runs a decent operation. I would not take a boat ride for grunts, kinda bait and switch..The headboats are a joke in Florida, as are some charter captains....just my .02

I’ve watched the head boat come back to dock at Bud n Mary’s in Islamorada a couple times. Their catch was a trash can full of 12-14” yellowtail snappers. I’d be pissed if I paid $70 to fish all day and catch 12” fish that I could catch at any bridge in town.