Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scoobydoo

Striped bass vs smallmout bass season closures....

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

So April 15th marks the date where you can't kill  a bronzie or larry.  And it runs though my Berfday...June 15th

With bonus protection afforded to river fish in trout stocked waters that are closed weeks ahead of that.  Allowing a short period of time to target them prior to their pre spawn......(yet bass tourneys can livewell transport them to the other side of the lakes)

Yet...striped bass season opens......right in the same prespawn period.....How does that make any sense. 

Never understood that....

stripers dont act like this, I guess

When fishing for bass that have made it out of the ditches and channels and into shallow water, I've noticed that when largemouth bass are the first fish to begin the spawning ritual, you seldom see any bluegill or any other predator of the bass' eggs in the area. When these big females move into spawning areas, they go on a feeding frenzy that is unreal. They want to kill anything they perceive as a threat to their eggs. That's the reason you hear such great fishing reports during the prespawn: anglers catching bass on big spinnerbaits, big jigs, lizards, crankbaits.

I suppose the big difference is that you don't have nest-guarding behavior with striped bass.  Remove the male largemouth/smallmouth from the nest, and the eggs can be placed at risk.  I know that I've fished up on the St. Lawrence, where there isn't even a catch and release season during the spawn as there is in much of the state, because the feeling is that the gobies will wipe out the eggs if the male is removed for even a brief time.

Edited by CWitek

Yeah the bedding thing is different. SM and LM go under just as much pressure from bed fishing bc its so easy. No removing of the fish but eggs can still be lost.