PlumFishing

WTB- Sargent Sportsmen’s pliers

18 posts in this topic

Bit of a Hail Mary: looking for a pair of Sargent Sportsman’s pliers in decent shape (8-9/10 condition).  

Prefer to pay cash (PayPal, Cash App, USPS MO). 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bump.

Cash or trade.

Have plugs (several RM Smith, few Chums, H'Islander, Guppy Jobo), Penn 704z recently serviced, older 704 greenie, etc. 

Edited by PlumFishing

I have a pair in barely-used condition with extra blades and might be interested in a trade. I’m kind of hesitant since I probably won’t find another pair of these, but I’m more of a kayak fisherman and I don’t use pliers all that much. Do you have any decent ~7’ spinning rods to trade? Or fly fishing stuff? I just got an 8 weight and don’t have much else yet. 

8 mins ago, drmevo said:

I have a pair in barely-used condition with extra blades and might be interested in a trade. I’m kind of hesitant since I probably won’t find another pair of these, but I’m more of a kayak fisherman and I don’t use pliers all that much. Do you have any decent ~7’ spinning rods to trade? Or fly fishing stuff? I just got an 8 weight and don’t have much else yet. 

Unfortunately I don’t have fly fishing stuff and have primarily heavier surf tackle, but thanks for the reply. 

I’d be OK paying a premium based on the dearth of these available, which you could then possibly convert into what you are looking for. 

12 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

Unfortunately I don’t have fly fishing stuff and have primarily heavier surf tackle, but thanks for the reply. 

I’d be OK paying a premium based on the dearth of these available, which you could then possibly convert into what you are looking for. 

I gave it some thought and I think I'm going to hold onto them for now- I'd really just prefer a straight trade if I were to part with them. Good luck in your search.

I have a pair of these pliers, but in all honesty I would probably get another pair, perhaps some titanium pliers. The sargents are ok, but I’ve broken 2 pairs... The side that cuts braid rusts easily, and the hook cutting side has also failed on me for both pairs. The pliers themselves though are very solid, if you really want a pair I will contact the company as they have a lifetime warranty and I still have my pair but the hook cutting side is broken, maybe they will send a new pair in exchange if they have anymore.

Edited by Drapoza
Can’t spell

1 hour ago, Drapoza said:

I have a pair of these pliers, but in all honesty I would probably get another pair, perhaps some titanium pliers. The sargents are ok, but I’ve broken 2 pairs... The side that cuts braid rusts easily, and the hook cutting side has also failed on me for both pairs. The pliers themselves though are very solid, if you really want a pair I will contact the company as they have a lifetime warranty and I still have my pair but the hook cutting side is broken, maybe they will send a new pair in exchange if they have anymore.

That would be great if you could check and let me know. 

Thanks!

I'm with drapoza, I jumped on board and bought a pair , first time cutting a hook the cutter snapped off the pliers . Overrated in my opinion . I've had manleys last over 10 years with occasional oil and still cut hooks .just my 2 cents .

16 mins ago, giant basshole said:

I'm with drapoza, I jumped on board and bought a pair , first time cutting a hook the cutter snapped off the pliers . Overrated in my opinion . I've had manleys last over 10 years with occasional oil and still cut hooks .just my 2 cents .

Then I’d imagine everyone with a pair of Sargents would be clamoring to offload them to me. :wee:

I’ll check out the Manleys. 

On 5/30/2019 at 10:11 PM, PlumFishing said:

A final Hail Mary bump

I’ll let mine go for $85 with four sets of replacement blades (3 I bought plus one that came with it - they were around $8 each I believe) if you’re willing to pick them up or meet somewhere easy. 

11DC2D29-5DAE-4D61-AF06-614497EC2AE6.jpeg.3650cb5aa054be0996d04dc8cf63eedd.jpeg

Edited by drmevo

2 hours ago, drmevo said:

I’ll let mine go for $85 with four sets of replacement blades (3 I bought plus one that came with it - they were around $8 each I believe) if you’re willing to pick them up or meet somewhere easy. 

11DC2D29-5DAE-4D61-AF06-614497EC2AE6.jpeg.3650cb5aa054be0996d04dc8cf63eedd.jpeg

That works for me. 

Could you ship and I’ll cover it? Otherwise I’ll probably be on Plum Island/Newburyport area at least one day next weekend.