Lure rating rod

Okay so i have bought a tsunami star rod for a striper and blue fish rod for kayak fishing. It showed up and its absolutely horrible for plugging I figured for a 1/4 ounce to 1.5 ounce lure rating it would be good for casting plugs or jigging swim baits if needed. Things a broom stick lol. So im going to be looking for another rod now. Unfortantly im landlocked in pa so need some options please. Soething on the lighter set up that i can cast smaller plugs if needed but can still throw an sp or 1 to 1.5 ounce jig head. I have a Berkley cherry wood( cheap but works) for flounder and pan fish so i just need some ideas on a bass and blue rod. Trying to stay like 80 bucks or lower. Im going to well one of my Penn battle II rod combos i never used im thinking if i can get 80 nucks for it ill just take the money and buy a new taking rod. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, fishguts430 said:

Only reason why im trying not to to to exspwsive is so if i lose it over board im not out a 250 combo lol. But I might get something up there in price. May i ask what brand and rods your using?

Yeah it would suck to lose rods overboard, but imo it sucks more to use crappy equipment. I've been amazed at the quality of some sub-100 dollar reels, but rods, not so much. Nowadays I have no problem pairing 70 dollar reels to 300 dollar rods. This was not the case even 5, 6 years ago. 

Anyway, for 120ish the safe choice would be a Shimano Teramar SE, from 7' to 7'6 mh - heavy. Those will fall within your lure ratings, and the TC4 blank is proven; so is the fuji hardware.

Recently I played around with my friend's Jigging World Nexus 7'MH...impressive rod for the price point. Lighter than the Teramar, and a sexier rod overall. 

Either rod will be light years ahead of that Tsunami, and you won't regret spending the extra cash. 

TBH I really loved my Penn battle combo, used it for 2 seasons before the rod exploded from a big hit.  The reel is still going strong on a new rod, ironically on a tsunami.  The new tsunami rod was definitely an upgrade.

After the yak and all the gear i didn't have much left in the budget for tackle.  I also feared loosing a really nice/expensive setup in the water.  I try to remind myself people fish with way less in other countries too.

On 4/20/2019 at 0:47 AM, buddha162 said:

Recently I played around with my friend's Jigging World Nexus 7'MH...impressive rod for the price point. Lighter than the Teramar, and a sexier rod overall. 

I went to the salt water expo and wanted to check out that rod, I went to the booth and played around with that rod. I was impressed by it, took about 2 minutes and it was better than what I expected once I got it in my hand, I got a good deal on it I thought as well. Problem is threw my back out and haven't been able to get out. Hoping to get my first use with it next week at some point.

I "used" to buy rod online, but now I'd rather go to the store and check it out first hand.

When buying online you can select the weight and action rating from the order form/selection but you don't really know how their ratings compare to what you expect.

Make the trip to the store, check out the rods, get a feel for what different makers use as their ratings and you'll be able to get exactly what you want/need without worry....

well without worry except "delivery" issues.:shrug:

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

24 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

I "used" to buy rod online, but now I'd rather go to the store and check it out first hand.

When buying online you can select the weight and action rating from the order form/selection but you don't really know how their ratings compare to what you expect.

Make the trip to the store, check out the rods, get a feel for what different makers use as their ratings and you'll be able to get exactly what you want/need without worry....

well without worry except "delivery" issues.:shrug:

This is what i would love to do especially since i already wasted 48 bucks the thing is I live in York pa no one around here has inshore rods like this. I need to drive 3 hours Just to rod shop

4 hours ago, fishguts430 said:

This is what i would love to do especially since i already wasted 48 bucks the thing is I live in York pa no one around here has inshore rods like this. I need to drive 3 hours Just to rod shop

Don't think of it as waste...you now know the kind of rod you don't want for w/e technique you were planning it for. Honestly, it would be hard to find a decent rod at that price point...but there is still a wide variance in action/taper etc.

Lots of buying and selling slightly used gear to get the suite of rods I want, and sure at the end of the day I'm paying a few bucks more to test out rods sight-unseen...but if you find the perfect rod (within your budget) for a specific job, that's money well spent. Last 2.5 years I went searching for the perfect rod for pulling jerkbaits off the yak...and I went through 5 to find the right one for me. 

You're severely limiting yourself if you only look at what your local B&T carries. 

4 hours ago, cheech said:

Isn’t there a BPS 40 miles away in Harrisburg?

BPS.docx

Edited by Popasilov

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-