jjdbike

PEASE HELP w/ Smoking fresh ham!!!!

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Ok so I like my local butcher, & he must be a great salesman & or I must have wanted to be sold. 

I want in expecting to come out w/ a 10lb skin off 1/2 ham.  I came out w/ a 22lb whole skin on bone in fresh ham (rump).

i wanna smoke it for this Sunday at 4:00 pm.

i barely have a clue how to take this on.

Cut cross hatches & pack w/ kosher salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, wrap for 32 hours.

I have fake Big Green Egg. I need advice for how to smoke this thing (basic / for dummies) please!!!!!

Thanks much in advance!

JD

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooo, 

cut cross hatches. Pured bourbon, patted w/ kosher salt, fresh course ground black pepper & brown sugar (at 5:30 pm Friday 4/19). Wrapped tightly w/ plastic wrap. Prolly gonna smoke w/ hickory early Sunday morning (4/21).  My question is at what temp & for how long. Dinner is at 4:00 pm Sunday.

my wife wants sweet pineapple, brown sugar & bourbon glaze. I’m guessing I’ll need to baste?

186A1468-FBA4-4B1C-AA18-75916376DF6E.jpeg

2CB84268-A1D9-4464-A651-2A16DEB87AEF.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Ok so I like my local butcher, & he must be a great salesman & or I must have wanted to be sold. 

I want in expecting to come out w/ a 10lb skin off 1/2 ham.  I came out w/ a 22lb whole skin on bone in fresh ham (rump).

 

No clue how to smoke that beast, but I do have a terrific opportunity for you to invest in a bridge here in NJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m with Peter on the no clue side of the fence but I do think hickory may be too strong. Sugar maple may be a more mild smoke if you can get it in a day. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only done low and slow in the oven, a picnic shoulder for pulled pork. I go 12 - 13 hours at 200 225. I imagine the principle is the same.  

Personally I'd err on the side of caution and get it started early. If it finishes before you plan on serving you can always slice and heat before serving. If you start it late and it doesn't finish, no ham.

Best of luck JD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JJ - I also can't help other than this bit of advise or perhaps advise wrapped in a question.

 

Why would you take something like this on for a holiday meal? seems to me it would have been better to do it once or twice before having it as the main attraction for Easter.

 

That being said, my instinct tells me what others already said, lo and slow, and for 20 pounds you are likely looking at 12+ hours.

 

Maybe Ben Lippen can reach out here with some help, as I know he and Michael P did a whole suckling pig for the Food Fling at least one year. so he may have some input. Perhaps even shoot him a PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PeterO said:

No clue how to smoke that beast, but I do have a terrific opportunity for you to invest in a bridge here in NJ.

Thanks Peter, I'm all ear's. I've wanted to make a private investment into public infrastruture for a long time, oh wait, I just did, taxes. LOL : ).

Yes I know, I didn't think that through. Got caught up in the moment. It'll be an adventure!

10 hours ago, Kml said:

I’m with Peter on the no clue side of the fence but I do think hickory may be too strong. Sugar maple may be a more mild smoke if you can get it in a day. 

 

Thanks, I needed to know that. I'll look for maple, or apple.

9 hours ago, NaturalScience said:

I've only done low and slow in the oven, a picnic shoulder for pulled pork. I go 12 - 13 hours at 200 225. I imagine the principle is the same.  

Personally I'd err on the side of caution and get it started early. If it finishes before you plan on serving you can always slice and heat before serving. If you start it late and it doesn't finish, no ham.

Best of luck JD.

Yup, low & slow. Gonna put it on at 1 am. Hope it's ready by 2 or 3. Prolly be done by 1 or 2 I'm gussing, depending on how even I can keep the heat.

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

JJ - I also can't help other than this bit of advise or perhaps advise wrapped in a question.

 

Why would you take something like this on for a holiday meal? seems to me it would have been better to do it once or twice before having it as the main attraction for Easter.

 

That being said, my instinct tells me what others already said, lo and slow, and for 20 pounds you are likely looking at 12+ hours.

 

Maybe Ben Lippen can reach out here with some help, as I know he and Michael P did a whole suckling pig for the Food Fling at least one year. so he may have some input. Perhaps even shoot him a PM.

Good Point Steve. Like I said to Peter, who so generously offered me that hot investment tip, I got caught up in the moment. It's cool, I've wanted to try a lobg smke like this for a couple years but never had enough guts or motivation. This is a good opprtunity. Worse case scenario, we'll have pleanty of sides & at $1.69 a lb, not too big of a risk.

My wife is into that sweet ham flavor & glaze but not so much w/ the smoke. I'm meeting her 1/2 way, smoke, w/ sweet.

I found this. Looks about right.

 

I'll report back w/ pics.

 

Happy  Easter & Passover!

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks Peter, I'm all ear's. I've wanted to make a private investment into public infrastruture for a long time, oh wait, I just did, taxes. LOL : ).

Yes I know, I didn't think that through. Got caught up in the moment. It'll be an adventure!

Thanks, I needed to know that. I'll look for maple, or apple.

Yup, low & slow. Gonna put it on at 1 am. Hope it's ready by 2 or 3. Prolly be done by 1 or 2 I'm gussing, depending on how even I can keep the heat.

Good Point Steve. Like I said to Peter, who so generously offered me that hot investment tip, I got caught up in the moment. It's cool, I've wanted to try a lobg smke like this for a couple years but never had enough guts or motivation. This is a good opprtunity. Worse case scenario, we'll have pleanty of sides & at $1.69 a lb, not too big of a risk.

My wife is into that sweet ham flavor & glaze but not so much w/ the smoke. I'm meeting her 1/2 way, smoke, w/ sweet.

I found this. Looks about right.

 

I'll report back w/ pics.

 

Happy  Easter & Passover!

JD

Be careful with Pineapple it can make the meat mushy, look it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, mike3dr said:

Be careful with Pineapple it can make the meat mushy, look it up.

Thanks bud,

its apple juice, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, cinnamon, allspice & nutmeg.

no pineapple.

lime I said, my wife lines the sweet stuff 

JD

Edited by jjdbike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mike3dr said:

Be careful with Pineapple it can make the meat mushy, look it up.

Just for the record, this only applied to fresh pineapple. With canned pineapple, the enzyme that turns the meat mushy is destroyed by the heating in the canning process, so your window is much greater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That brown color is maple & dark brown sugar glaze. 

Been tending it since 9pm last night. Temp is plateaued & hasn’t budged for over an hour. Remote thermometer reads 163, instant digital reads 153. I want it to reach 170. I don’t want to crank up heat & risk drying it out. 

I’m at a loss. I figured it would be done by now. Perhaps it’s gonna need another hour or more? I don’t feel comfortable leaving for church & ham unattended:confused:

JD

 

9DEA8F64-D55C-47D5-8DA0-C5A3C239A38F.jpeg

4E26DE52-879F-46D4-9663-F037F3B273D6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 mins ago, jjdbike said:

That brown color is maple & dark brown sugar glaze. 

Been tending it since 9pm last night. Temp is plateaued & hasn’t budged for over an hour. Remote thermometer reads 163, instant digital reads 153. I want it to reach 170. I don’t want to crank up heat & risk drying it out. 

I’m at a loss. I figured it would be done by now. Perhaps it’s gonna need another hour or more? I don’t feel comfortable leaving for church & ham unattended:confused:

JD

 

9DEA8F64-D55C-47D5-8DA0-C5A3C239A38F.jpeg

4E26DE52-879F-46D4-9663-F037F3B273D6.jpeg

I think that is called the stall JD. 

If I'm correct you just keep plugging on and the temp starts to rise again.

Looks good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.