golden

Coming down with a case of the Blues???

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, ridenfish said:

I love Bluefish,they put a Bass to shame when it comes to pulling power.

The first 10lb+ bluefish I every caught was in the canal, mid-tide, when the current was around peak. I thought I had a new personal best striper on the line.  :)

2 mins ago, zak-striper said:

The first 10lb+ bluefish I every caught was in the canal, mid-tide, when the current was around peak. I thought I had a new personal best striper on the line.  :)

I kept a count this spring during a good bite. 12 straight casts and 12 hook ups on Blues from 8-12 ish lbs.  I needed a break after that lol.  

One of these days I’ll trek up to the canal.  People complain about the crowds but it looks like a normal New Jersey beach in the fall every time I see a pic :D

Got into a frenzy mess of 5lb size over the weekend, in Buzzards. C&R at least 50 over both days, no time to fillet, but I'll be back!

Was hoping for bones or Albie, but no go.

The bait is running thick!

KIMG1049.JPG

On 5/31/2019 at 6:51 AM, jason colby said:

You have to start with large, fatty fish and ice them right away. Bleeding helps with aesthetics and may help the product longevity but really has no impact on taste (except perhaps, "in the head"). Cut and wrap your "sashimi logs" (pre-cut pieces, "sized" for how much you use for a meal. I make mine about a pound to 1.5 pounds and the shoulder loin of a 10-12 pound fish is "about perfect"). Freeze those sealed/wrapped pieces at least a day, up to several months depending on how well your seal is and how cold your freezer is... 

Excellent suggestion for bluefish sashimi, haven't tried that yet! I recently made a couple poke recipes, one shoyu and one spicy mayo, and both turned out delicious. 

2 mins ago, yakscientist said:

Excellent suggestion for bluefish sashimi, haven't tried that yet! I recently made a couple poke recipes, one shoyu and one spicy mayo, and both turned out delicious. 

YEP!

If you like salmon poke you should like (good quality) bluefish for all the same reasons....

1 hour ago, zenman said:

Finally!!! Got into decent sized blues for first time in 3 years. They were a regular visitor when I was young. 

Congrats!!

Those are some nice gators.

38 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Congrats!!

Those are some nice gators.

Thanks, it felt like a relief to actually catch a few where I used to catch them regularly.