golden

Coming down with a case of the Blues???

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, bob_G said:

My wife makes a spread of chopped smoked bluefish mixed into cream cheese with some black pepper and a touch of honey. Amazing on a bagel. Smoked trout are equally good. :drool:

Smoked blue pate... one of my standards!

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:03 PM, bob_G said:

Years ago my buddy gave me some huge blues he caught offshore while tuna fishing.  More than I could use, but I took them all since he was going to toss them if I didnt take them.

I kept a couple smoke, and chopped up the rest for lobster bait. What made this story interesting is, many of the blues were feasting on baby sharks.

PLEASE-Never "toss" bluefish! Aside from it being a complete waste, they can always be utilized as long as they are kept on ice. Let them go if you do not want them but if you or your friends "made a mistake" and ended up with a bunch you do not want, call me (my number is easily found) and I'll drive up to an hour (each way) to pick them up.

Same for HFG here as she makes great smoked bluefish while my wife and I eat them as sashimi all winter....JC

Edited by jason colby

3 mins ago, jason colby said:

PLEASE-Never "toss" bluefish! Aside from it being a complete waste, they can always be utilized as long as they are kept on ice. Let them go if you do not want them but if you or your friends "made a mistake" and ended up with a bunch you do not want, call me (my number is easily found) and I'll drive up to an hour (each way) to pick them up.

Same for HFG here as she makes great smoked bluefish while my wife and I eat them all winter....JC

Jason,

Be advised, I didn't catch the fish. :) 

The fish were forced upon me. My buddy ( you know him) returned from an offshore tuna trip, called on the way in to ask if I wanted a couple blues. When i arrived at his home, the "couple fish" turned into a heaping tote of jumbos. Not really iced and of dubious quality. He tells me to take what I want because he was going to chuck the rest. I kept a couple to smoke, and felt I did my due diligence turning the rest into lobster bait for my traps.

7 mins ago, bob_G said:

Jason,

Be advised, I didn't catch the fish. :) 

The fish were forced upon me. My buddy ( you know him) returned from an offshore tuna trip, called on the way in to ask if I wanted a couple blues. When i arrived at his home, the "couple fish" turned into a heaping tote of jumbos. Not really iced and of dubious quality. He tells me to take what I want because he was going to chuck the rest. I kept a couple to smoke, and felt I did my due diligence turning the rest into lobster bait for my traps.

At least you "utilized" them. I wasn't calling you out in any way, just letting it be known (to all) to ice the fish properly if you are going to kill them and you can always find a home for them where they won't go to waste if you change your mind about eating them yourself.

As long as they are in a cooler of ice (that can drain), they will be good for my purposes for at least a couple of days from capture.

FEED ME! (I did not find enough blues last year)....JC

I'm in the same boat regarding blues. I never caught one in the canal last year.  My wife and I enjoy small blues blackened. Any size works for smoking.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:11 PM, golden said:

Been suffering from the Blues?  Or maybe a lack of the Blues?  Well, after last year's non-arrival of our favorite yellow-eyed-devils,

Third time's a charm! During my third Bluefish outing of the year I finally got my first keeper of the season. :D

20190530_201020.jpg.eb8f10e13d865c36280cb273dcd40e6d.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

On 4/21/2019 at 9:33 AM, jason colby said:

Same for HFG here as she makes great smoked bluefish while my wife and I eat them as sashimi all winter....JC

What’s the secret to bluefish sashimi?

8 hours ago, JTR said:

What’s the secret to bluefish sashimi?

You have to start with large, fatty fish and ice them right away. Bleeding helps with aesthetics and may help the product longevity but really has no impact on taste (except perhaps, "in the head"). Cut and wrap your "sashimi logs" (pre-cut pieces, "sized" for how much you use for a meal. I make mine about a pound to 1.5 pounds and the shoulder loin of a 10-12 pound fish is "about perfect"). Freeze those sealed/wrapped pieces at least a day, up to several months depending on how well your seal is and how cold your freezer is... 

The blues action so far this year has been steady, but not huge, numbers wise...for me at least.

So far my best outing, numbers wise, was mid-June on the Cape. My best outing, size wise, was early July on MV.

Got another keeper from the beach recently while fighting a tough 15mph+ wind. 

20190811_182759.jpg.6981cef87a2677af4b3fedbf66450fce.jpg

20190811_182723.jpg.bf84e9a04f3b25ccf47499784df9fb94.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

I think this weekend I am going to prepare to smoke some blues and head out to try and target some.

Are they still getting them on the outer cape beaches?   I might have to employ a friend of mine if his boat is still in Chatham.

36 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

I think this weekend I am going to prepare to smoke some blues and head out to try and target some.

Are they still getting them on the outer cape beaches?   I might have to employ a friend of mine if his boat is still in Chatham.

I got a bunch of small blues at high head Saturday.  Right at high tide.

Am I the only one that really likes the small (1-2 lb) blues just filleted out and put on the grill? I think they are delicious at that size.

In NJ the last 2 springs were decent for the big Blues, but they didn't push in in the fall.  Hoping it's different this year...

34 mins ago, ridenfish said:

Am I the only one that really likes the small (1-2 lb) blues just filleted out and put on the grill? I think they are delicious at that size.

I catch that size often enough. However, they don't have a lot of meat on them. I start keeping them in the 4-5lb range. At that weight you get two nice sized fillets for a 2 person dinner. And the meat is really tasty if you bleed them out and ice them right away.

4-10 lb is my preferred range. I usually let blues over 10lb ones go. However, over 10lbs are a lot of fun to catch.

Edited by zak-striper

1 min ago, zak-striper said:

I catch that size often enough. However, they don't have a lot of meat on them. I start keeping them in the 4-5lb range. At that size you get two nice sized fillets for a 2 person dinner. And the meat is really tasty if you bleed them out and ice them right away.

4-10lb is my preferred range. I usually let blues over 10lb ones go. However, over 10lbs are a lot of fun to catch.

I love Bluefish,they put a Bass to shame when it comes to pulling power. I'll have to give a bigger one a try soon.  And a bleeding and quick ice down is key. If you do that and cut the blood line out even albies are Ok to eat.

It's really a shame the way some "anglers" treat Blues, they mishandle them, kick them back in the water, take 15 for "shark bait" or fertilizer :(