golden

Coming down with a case of the Blues???

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, FishRatz said:

I beg to differ, last year, Buzz Bay, end of Summer , into Sept-Oct for several weeks and nearly on every outing, I had a consistent runs in the devils, not gator size, but enough to fill my smoker a few times over for holidays.

These were large schools thrashing bait up on the rocks, quite a sight.

Blues 1.jpg

Blues 2.jpg

Blues 3.jpg

I should have been more specific... I'm referring strictly to the spring run in Nantucket Sound.  I too, got into those smaller class blues in the fall chasing funnyfish.

If you get bait roaming the flats, especially pogies and squid, with warmer sound waters, that's usually a recipe for a great day (depending on the cycle/size of current crop of blues).

A sample from the last few years, excluding 2018.  Hoping for a couple more seasons with this cycle:

IMG_9759.JPG

IMG_9760.PNG

Fullblue1 (2).jpg

blu16d.JPG

DSCN0314.JPG

1 hour ago, golden said:

If you get bait roaming the flats, especially pogies and squid, with warmer sound waters, that's usually a recipe for a great day (depending on the cycle/size of current crop of blues).

A sample from the last few years, excluding 2018.  Hoping for a couple more seasons with this cycle:

IMG_9759.JPG

IMG_9760.PNG

Fullblue1 (2).jpg

blu16d.JPG

DSCN0314.JPG

When the squid boats show and the winds are in on the beach , The cock-tale blues are in the mix some where along that beach front

I just hope if the Southside lights up again people keep their mouths shut.  It used to be a fun little fishery before social media / internet reports messed that up too.  Wishful thinking....

24 mins ago, keepah said:

I just hope if the Southsid for the lights up again people keep their mouths shut.  It used to be a fun little fishery before social media / internet reports messed that up too.  Wishful thinking....

Interesting. I wanted a few blues last spring and was waiting for the internet reports.  Never saw any reports, so I never  scheduled any time to go there.

On 4/19/2019 at 5:14 PM, richie c said:

I'd like to try them smoked, how do they hold up in the freezer?

After you smoke them, let them rest overnight in the fridge then vacuum seal portions to freeze. After a night defrosting in the fridge they taste like you just did them. They hold up really well but again they don’t last long because they are too delicious to leave alone. 

I won’t freeze fresh filets but do cook up a few smaller ones on shingled potatoes ala Pops OTW cookbook recipe.  That recipe is the bomb and I’ve changed quite a few people’s opinion on eating blue fish. 

My wife makes a spread of chopped smoked bluefish mixed into cream cheese with some black pepper and a touch of honey. Amazing on a bagel. Smoked trout are equally good. :drool:

2nd week of May in my area. Every year, without fail. Last year they showed but didn’t stick around in good numbers for too long. Still got a handful of bruisers though. 

The one in the picture was caught in late August on top water. 15 lbs on the boga. 

4A6C2E5B-D057-4E07-85C9-C73E1733361B.jpeg