golden

Coming down with a case of the Blues???

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Been suffering from the Blues?  Or maybe a lack of the Blues?  Well, after last year's non-arrival of our favorite yellow-eyed-devils, I wouldn't blame you you.  But, I was always leaning towards the horrible spring, and colder start towards their absence in 2018, where the fish never pushed in.  However, the three-eyed raven has been sending me signs that we could see a return of bigfish, from '17, '16.... adult pogies, choppers already being caught down south.  Hitch up yer' britches folks, and break out the Ben-Gay, and let us pray.  Giddy-up!

FB_IMG_1554604212039.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 mins ago, golden said:

choppers already being caught down south.

A couple of Whole Foods near me have had bluefish for about 2 weeks now. Last weekend I bought a piece. As the fish monger was cutting me up a piece I asked him where they came from. His best guess was MD or NJ. He told me that as he was filleting them up he found some squid in some of their bellies.

I'm hoping last year was an anomaly because of the cold winter and cold April.

Edited by zak-striper

3 mins ago, zak-striper said:

A couple of Whole Foods near me have had bluefish for about 2 weeks now. Last weekend I bought a piece. As the fish monger was cutting me up a piece I asked him where they came from. His best guess was MD or NJ. He told me that as he was filleting them up he found some squid in some of their bellies.

I'm hoping last year was an anomaly because of the cold winter and cold April.

If all goes according to plan, we'll have squid, herring, and pogies, like the few years prior to last!

I beg to differ, last year, Buzz Bay, end of Summer , into Sept-Oct for several weeks and nearly on every outing, I had a consistent runs in the devils, not gator size, but enough to fill my smoker a few times over for holidays.

These were large schools thrashing bait up on the rocks, quite a sight.

Blues 1.jpg

Blues 2.jpg

Blues 3.jpg

1 hour ago, golden said:

If all goes according to plan, we'll have squid, herring, and pogies, like the few years prior to last!

I actually saw a lot of bait last year on the south side beaches, very few blues however. 

I was catching the bait more than blues. 

20180513_181207.jpg.dada5feda8671602044d074d65fd308d.jpg

20180530_233101.jpg.0f8564db152b710ba675ef1c62e72c8d.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

1 hour ago, FishRatz said:

I beg to differ, last year, Buzz Bay, end of Summer , into Sept-Oct for several weeks and nearly on every outing, I had a consistent runs in the devils, not gator size, but enough to fill my smoker a few times over for holidays.

These were large schools thrashing bait up on the rocks, quite a sight.

Blues 1.jpg

Blues 2.jpg

Blues 3.jpg

I'd like to try them smoked, how do they hold up in the freezer?

There’s been hardly any in RI for the last several seasons. Don’t see that changing unless pogies show up, which I don’t see happening. 

39 mins ago, richie c said:

how do they hold up in the freezer?

Not very long. I usually only keep em for a couple of weeks whereas I keep stripers in the freezer for months 

Years ago my buddy gave me some huge blues he caught offshore while tuna fishing.  More than I could use, but I took them all since he was going to toss them if I didnt take them.

I kept a couple smoke, and chopped up the rest for lobster bait. What made this story interesting is, many of the blues were feasting on baby sharks.

If you plan to smoke them, you can either do this right away, a day or so from catch. Or, you can clean fillets, marrinade them in ziplock bags and freeze, until you get enough to fill smoker. Frozen in marinade of soysauce, worcester, brown sugar(lots) and spices, the liquid preserves the meat well, for a few weeks anyways.. until you smoke.

Thaw and smoke. 

After smoking, you can vacuum bag and store frozen again for six months or more...I have not had it last longer because I just eat it by then...it's so good!

As for freezing fresh fillets to cook other ways later...IMO..it's trash, the meat falls apart and taste horrible.

The only other ways I cook is with fresh fillets, usually corn meal pan fried in peanut oil.

Massive holiday smoking last Fall of trout and blues.

Still have some in freezer ready for Easter in fact!

KIMG0219.JPG

Edited by FishRatz

2 hours ago, zak-striper said:

Not very long. I usually only keep em for a couple of weeks whereas I keep stripers in the freezer for months 

You ever smoke stripers?

The blues have been pretty scarce up my way the past few years despite tons of pogies and plenty of other bait.  I really hope they come back this year (but I'm not holding my breath).  Seeing them bust on bait definitely makes a fishing trip a lot better.

7 mins ago, FishRatz said:

I have tried smoking stripers and seabass...no go..not enough oil in flesh.

I smoked striper twice now and it was absolutely amazing. Never tried smoking sea bass.

51 mins ago, richie c said:

You ever smoke stripers?

Not yet. I've had smoked blues, which is awesome. And I love BBQ and smoked meat. I want to get a smoker for all of these.  :)