Slowwwride

Bluefish

Rate this topic

93 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

I agree, specific tides specific spots specific time of the year in SJ you are almost guranteed some gators. Last year was a joke compared to the three before it but they will come if you know where to look. 

I agree there in trouble, when they're around the crowds amass and its a slaughter show... sad

The Rocks at local inlets look like a crime scene when the blues have been heavy past couple of springs.  Blood pools everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, jpiercy13 said:

The Rocks at local inlets look like a crime scene when the blues have been heavy past couple of springs.  Blood pools everywhere.

The saddest thing is in late august and september when I see people netting snapper blues and filling buckets with them... People stuff there freezer with sh*t meat ad never even eat it half the time.. Wish everyone had the mind set of CPR, but some people and cultures keep EVERYTHING they catch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Northern mentality. Anyways, I've never had a fish I didn't like. Bluefish though? I'll eat it but it's not quality stuff. Keep a few small ones at most. I mean look at the color of that crap, who wants 10 pounds of that in their freezer lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Wampire said:

I just wonder who out there is really filleting 15 gators, trimming the blood lines and vac sealing all the meat. I do that for a couple and it makes for a bit of work

 

No one. Especially after they've sat on the rocks, on a beach, or in a burlap bag for a few hours. Most are being wasted I'm sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Northern mentality. Anyways, I've never had a fish I didn't like. Bluefish though? I'll eat it but it's not quality stuff. Keep a few small ones at most. I mean look at the color of that crap, who wants 10 pounds of that in their freezer lol

 

My Dad liked it. My Mom still likes it and has actually asked me to keep her one for Mothers Day dinner at times. So I've eaten it since I was a kid. But I can only do the big ones once or twice a spring. And I keep them from places I can bleed and get them in a cooler of ice quickly. The smaller ones are better for sure but still aren't something I'd keep with any regularity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't eat the blues but if we get into them I will keep them all, bleed them, on ice they go.   when I get home I have one neighbor that likes them and a family friend also.  if they are not around or I have lots, I donate them to the senior center and they don't go to waste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be nice if the headboats stressed to the customers that they should only keep the fish they are definitely going to eat.  My experience is they automatically keep everything and half the people on the boat never had any intention of keeping.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, bdawk said:

Would be nice if the headboats stressed to the customers that they should only keep the fish they are definitely going to eat.  My experience is they automatically keep everything and half the people on the boat never had any intention of keeping.  

Would you tip the mates for not filleting fish?  Of course they want to stick a gaff in everything.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Would you tip the mates for not filleting fish?  Of course they want to stick a gaff in everything.  

 

Agree, lots of issue and i understand why they do it.  But in the long run they are killing their own businesses as well as our hobby. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bdawk said:

Would be nice if the headboats stressed to the customers that they should only keep the fish they are definitely going to eat.  My experience is they automatically keep everything and half the people on the boat never had any intention of keeping.  

They're not netting blues on head boats.  Tough to release with gaff wound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No bluefish? Im AC(Atlantic county) and have crushed them the last few years. Last year's heaviest went 19.8, year before I broke the 20lb mark twice, they have been so big that I bought a couple heavy action setups - Abu Revo Toro Beast 2 on a heavy action 8'6 rod, my normal striper setups (Abu Ambus) just weren't cutting it. Look for the big bruisers to come thru the next 2 weeks. 

The bluefish bite was so good we had tackle owners closing shop and actually fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 mins ago, Fi**** 2 said:

 

The bluefish bite was so good we had tackle owners closing shop and actually fishing.

 

 

“#ACisBangin”

 

haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:31 AM, Wampire said:

Just not true. Caught gators the last 2 years in a row coming from Lancaster pa 3-4 trips during the spring run. Places like AC had 20” fish out the wazoo but with some very basic internet scouting put myself on gators 

Not speaking to you specifically, but for everyone, saying "Yeah but one day we caught a ton of them" doesn't mean a thing to the overall trend one way or the other. If a bunch of people who used to catch them now aren't, that might be a sign...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bluefish are my favorite fish to eat and I have had almost all of them fresh caught. I hated them for years and tried everything until I figured out how to prepare it. It's actually simple. As soon as you catch it you slice its throat. Let it bleed for no more than 5 mins then fillet it. Put the fresh fillets on paper towels to remove any excess moisture/oil. Then put a few paper towels in a Ziploc bag, add the fillets, seal the bag and place on ice. The are many problems with bluefish meat. Bluefish meat gets nasty when wet. Bluefish meat gets nasty when not filleted instantly as their stomach acid gets in their meat. Bluefish meat gets nasty if you don't bleed it and cut out the blood. Follow these rules and I promise you it is delicious. Fail to bleed, fillet, dry, pack and ice and it comes out like ****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, SJyakkin said:

Bluefish are my favorite fish to eat and I have had almost all of them fresh caught. I hated them for years and tried everything until I figured out how to prepare it. It's actually simple. As soon as you catch it you slice its throat. Let it bleed for no more than 5 mins then fillet it. Put the fresh fillets on paper towels to remove any excess moisture/oil. Then put a few paper towels in a Ziploc bag, add the fillets, seal the bag and place on ice. The are many problems with bluefish meat. Bluefish meat gets nasty when wet. Bluefish meat gets nasty when not filleted instantly as their stomach acid gets in their meat. Bluefish meat gets nasty if you don't bleed it and cut out the blood. Follow these rules and I promise you it is delicious. Fail to bleed, fillet, dry, pack and ice and it comes out like ****.

You mean dumping them in a garbage can and letting them bake in the sun for 5 hours doesn't improve the taste? :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.