Slowwwride

Bluefish

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

15 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

We haven't had adult blue fish in SJ in many years. there used to be head boats night fishing for them, long gone. Still some snappers around during the summer around docks and what have you. Really underrated fish and wasted resource both commercially and recreational , personally I would like a moratorium on them for few years till their range is extended.  

I have caught many gators in south jersey over the past several years.  They are in trouble, but they have most certainly been around 

Looking forward to it with the family. Probably for the best that they don't come in huge numbers like they did. Ive watched some youtube vids from a few years ago and it was a disgusting sight. Huge piles of gators dead all over, googans with walmart combos with the tags still attached. It was friggin obscene.

Bluefish are one of the most cyclical fish ever, bluefish were rare in the sixties followed by all time peak years in the early eighties. Offshore spawners, some years are ideal conditions for spawning  others years  are poor. A couple of weak year classes are upon us lately but a tremendous year class of 1-2 pounders up and coming. Boom or bust fishery, always been that way regardless of fishing pressure, recreational or commercial.

Snappers were everywhere in the Raritan Bayshore area last year. Adult bluefish were a little harder to come by. Personally I like catching them as they are hard fighters. I agree with another poster above that they are underrated.

23 hours ago, squidder 329 said:

We haven't had adult blue fish in SJ in many years. there used to be head boats night fishing for them, long gone. Still some snappers around during the summer around docks and what have you. Really underrated fish and wasted resource both commercially and recreational , personally I would like a moratorium on them for few years till their range is extended.  

Just not true. Caught gators the last 2 years in a row coming from Lancaster pa 3-4 trips during the spring run. Places like AC had 20” fish out the wazoo but with some very basic internet scouting put myself on gators 

Maybe he meant offshore, but there have been big bluefish in south Jersey the last few years. There are charter boats specifically targeting them. One posted a decent fish this morning on FBook. 

I do agree it’s a shame when people max out on their limit of big ones. I’ve gotta feeling most are going into gardens for fertilizer. I myself don’t mind the taste of blues but I bleed and ice right away. Even then I only keep a couple. No sense in crushing the population to get the pic of 15 lined up on a tailgate

I agree, specific tides specific spots specific time of the year in SJ you are almost guranteed some gators. Last year was a joke compared to the three before it but they will come if you know where to look. 

I agree there in trouble, when they're around the crowds amass and its a slaughter show... sad

I just wonder who out there is really filleting 15 gators, trimming the blood lines and vac sealing all the meat. I do that for a couple and it makes for a bit of work