jkrock

I hate boats

Rate this topic

127 posts in this topic

I hate to say it but it looks like a lot more then 40 hours

9 hours ago, jkrock said:

Yep.  Haven’t completely determined my plan on it yet, but I estimate 40 hours of work.  Probably going with marine plywood and west systems epoxy, then maybe something like a spray on bed liner or rubberized pool paint .  Not 100% sure.

open to ideas.

17 mins ago, ccb said:

I hate to say it but it looks like a lot more then 40 hours

It’s 5 panels of plywood with self tapping screws fastened to what should be an aluminum frame.  I don’t think it’s going to be too bad, but it is what it is.

i pulled the T-top out on lunch break today and I’m hoping to get the console and leaning post out tomorrow AM before work.  That will give me access to the complete floor.  I’m thinking if I can’t get the pieces of floor out intact, I’ll make templates of them out of cardboard before I demo it out

5 hours ago, jkrock said:

They are solid.  Definitely keeping them. Debating how to finish though. Part of me doesn’t want to just paint them

Definately a sanding to see what you have.  You mentioned they are some kind of laminate?  Don't think I'd start with a belt sander lol

I'd lean towards some natural finish over paint

Posted (edited) · Report post

No fuel tank. Runs off portables.

Why no on the belt sander?  Gunnels are about 2 inches thick and and look to be made of about 12 1 inch wide wood strips laminated together that run the length of the boat. Previous owner said they are cedar, so

im guessing white cedar as they are very light colored when I hit the edge with a scrap of sandpaper 

EAF00FB5-361D-4934-A4C3-2313F688E735.jpeg

Edited by jkrock

2 hours ago, jkrock said:

No fuel tank. Runs off portables.

Why no on the belt sander?  Gunnels are about 2 inches thick and and look to be made of about 12 1 inch wide wood strips laminated together that run the length of the boat. Previous owner said they are cedar, so

im guessing white cedar as they are very light colored when I hit the edge with a scrap of sandpaper 

EAF00FB5-361D-4934-A4C3-2313F688E735.jpeg

I thought you said somewhere it was a cedar laminate?  Dunno, had a few in me last night lol.

Belt sander it is.  I still wouldn't paint....I'd opt for a finish that lets it looke like wood.

1 hour ago, ccb said:

could be Teak?  

thats not teak.

What are your plans for the console and other painted areas?  Looking like some love needed.  Leaving as is, or we making this rig pretty?

I did say its a black hole, jump in right??

1 hour ago, makorider said:

I thought you said somewhere it was a cedar laminate?  Dunno, had a few in me last night lol.

Belt sander it is.  I still wouldn't paint....I'd opt for a finish that lets it looke like wood.

thats not teak.

What are your plans for the console and other painted areas?  Looking like some love needed.  Leaving as is, or we making this rig pretty?

I did say its a black hole, jump in right??

I’m going to try to make it look decent, but not trying for a showpiece.  I plan to fish the snot out of it and hose it down when I get home

I pulled the t-too, leaning post and console out.  i stripped the console down this AM in my basement.  Damn rain is driving me nuts and supposed to be unsettled for at least the next week.

Going to figure out what I want to do to the console(lots of switches and cutouts for gauges I probably won’t use), then that will get patched/painted.

Not planning on going too crazy as I want to end up with a low maintenance aluminum fishing boat, not something I’m washing and waxing and buffing, etc

Edited by jkrock

Yeah, hear you.  Was more asking about paint in regards to the console  which it looks like it needs.

What kind of paint being youbare dealing w aluminum?

You can probably get the gunwales looking really good with sanding, maybe some oxalic acid if some dark stains remain, clear coat of epoxy and a couple coats of spar varnish.  

3 hours ago, makorider said:

Yeah, hear you.  Was more asking about paint in regards to the console  which it looks like it needs.

What kind of paint being youbare dealing w aluminum?

Not kidding, I’ll probably get a quart can of industrial  rustoleum or similar for the console. It’s probably as good as anything 

ive got a cheap spray gun and an air compressor. May try to spray it.

whats the worst that can happen?

probably nothing a can of that aircraft stripper can’t fix

Edited by jkrock