jkrock

I hate boats

Rate this topic

127 posts in this topic

Interior needs to be gutted.  It’s only a plywood floor.  I knew that going in. Sides are exposed aluminum . I see no reason to change that

Transom seems good.  Not great, but not rotted. Solid.

Gunnels are not rotted, but a mess.  Supposedly they are cedar.  It’s a laminated board of some sort, with the strips running the length of the boat.  They are probably a foot wide.   I think they will clean up fine with a good belt sanding and I can figure how I want to finish them. 

Console is aluminum and ill need to configure that how I want it.

wiring has me laughing.  Lots of wire nuts like you’d find in a lamp.  It’s all coming out anyway.  I’ll only have a few accessories to run

Basically it was all as expected and no surprises so far, but the weather has prevented me from digging in too much

interior pics for those that asked.  Project but shouldn’t be too hard.

E614FB3D-9123-4367-AE1A-2A73F6754942.jpeg

C7F6A27E-0FFD-4357-8C40-08889512D390.jpeg

007A86C1-E9D4-4632-9020-BE0F3B6C8C65.jpeg

728744E9-815B-4783-B31C-4B460C9BCB32.jpeg

10 mins ago, Joe said:

The deck will be a bit of a PITA to replace depending on how long you want it to last. 

Yep.  Haven’t completely determined my plan on it yet, but I estimate 40 hours of work.  Probably going with marine plywood and west systems epoxy, then maybe something like a spray on bed liner or rubberized pool paint .  Not 100% sure.

open to ideas.

Just now, jkrock said:

Yep.  Haven’t completely determined my plan on it yet, but I estimate 40 hours of work.  Probably going with marine plywood and west systems epoxy, then maybe something like a spray on bed liner or rubberized pool paint .  Not 100% sure.

open to ideas.

That's what I did. Well, still finishing it. The deck is in I have to mount the console & paint. I used marine ply soaked in CPES (epoxy thinned with acetone works too). Then a couple of coats of epoxy with barrier coat additive (both side). Then two layers of 10oz cloth (top only). I did another boat years ago with  1 1/8" hardwood ply (the stuff they use for shipping container floors). I only coated with epoxy & painted. That stuff weigh a TON!. I only coated with epoxy & painted that one.

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 mins ago, Joe said:

That's what I did. Well, still finishing it. The deck is in I have to mount the console & paint. I used marine ply soaked in CPES (epoxy thinned with acetone works too). Then a couple of coats of epoxy with barrier coat additive (both side). Then two layers of 10oz cloth (top only). I did another boat years ago with  1 1/8" hardwood ply (the stuff they use for shipping container floors). I only coated with epoxy & painted. That stuff weigh a TON!. I only coated with epoxy & painted that one.

I like what you did. Do you think the fiberglass cloth was needed?

looks like my current deck is 1/2 ply.  No cloth.  I was hoping to avoid fiberglassing, not that I can’t do it if needed.  Just another step.

My hull is not self bailing, mind you, so I’m just concerned about preventing rot verses sealing it from the bilge 

Edited by jkrock

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 mins ago, MacCTD said:

Looks like a cool project, I would use the thinnest marine plywood you can to save weight and coat it with epoxy, this place sells it locally, assuming you are in MA also, https://www.boulterplywood.com/ 

I love working on boats, almost as much as using them. 

Thanks for the info.

im in no hurry on this, mainly because I’m financially dealing with 3 kids and college , one in now and 2 more over the next 2 years.  I’ll buy a motor when I can, but in the meantime, this gives me a fairly low cost project I can work on over time and pretend I’m still a boater

Tryimg to be realistic about it, but I know boat means bust out another thousand 

Edited by jkrock

4 mins ago, jkrock said:

I like what you did. Do you think the fiberglass cloth was needed?

looks like my current deck is 1/2 ply.  No cloth.  I was hoping to avoid fiberglassing, not that I can’t do it if needed.  Just another step.

My hull is not self bailing, mind you, so I’m just concerned about preventing rot verses sealing it from the bilge 

After all the work I did, the cloth wasn't that big of a deal. I used 1/2 ply there's a "beam" every 18" underneath it. It's taken me so long (I'm in my 3rd year) that my wife told me to buy another boat that we could actually use... This one was more work that I bargained for [shocked] 

10 mins ago, Joe said:

After all the work I did, the cloth wasn't that big of a deal. I used 1/2 ply there's a "beam" every 18" underneath it. It's taken me so long (I'm in my 3rd year) that my wife told me to buy another boat that we could actually use... This one was more work that I bargained for [shocked] 

I haven seen what’s under the floor yet but judging from the screw pattern I assume mine is similar with a frame and I’m imagining foam block flotation between the floor and hull.

i hear you on more work than you bargained for.  I redid a 16 ft aluminum a few years ago and it took twice as long as I planned

I thought I was just replacing the deck & ended up with this. It's a 19' Pickerell. The only thing left was the sides of the hull & the keel. The "orange" stuff is LVL microlam 1 3/4" soaked in CPES. There's a good chance your foam blocks are saturated.

IMG_20160510_123102052.jpg

13 mins ago, Joe said:

I thought I was just replacing the deck & ended up with this. It's a 19' Pickerell. The only thing left was the sides of the hull & the keel. The "orange" stuff is LVL microlam 1 3/4" soaked in CPES. There's a good chance your foam blocks are saturated.

IMG_20160510_123102052.jpg

Wow, that will be a great boat when you get done.

But if I get that deep into this one, I'm selling the aluminum for scrap and buying a kayak