jkrock

I hate boats

Rate this topic

127 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, JimW said:

What make is the boat?   I wanted to buy a small used Pacific years ago.  Impossible to find or hugely priced and far. 

It’s a valco. I believe they were acquired by Klamath.

its nowhere near the boat a pacific is (sheet aluminum vs plate) , but definitely not something you see much on the east coast.  Picture I pulled off the ad is below

5FFC5F66-DE26-4C71-AE23-998617A07B66.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Got it home.

now the fun begins.

its a 1987 Valco westcoaster Bayrunner

gentleman I bought it from used to tuna fish and commercial dogfish in it out on Stellwagen.  

Im not that brave, but I think it will fix up into a nice coastal rig for me. 

65757670-EBFC-456D-BD49-7F2B512BF448.jpeg

Edited by jkrock

20 hours ago, jkrock said:

its nowhere near the boat a pacific is (sheet aluminum vs plate) , but definitely not something you see much on the east coast.  Picture I pulled off the ad is below

I think it has pretty nice lines.  Fished for years on a buddies Quintrex, doesn't have to be plate and easily trailered.

19 mins ago, ccb said:

Did you get a motor with it?

No motor.  Paid $1700 for boat and trailer.  It’s rated for a 75hp, but the owner was running a 50 on it and he said it did high 20s. I’m thinking I can fix it up and buy a new outboard end of season  for @$5-$6k or find a good used one even cheaper.

I'm hoping to fix it up, and power it with reliable power for $8500-$9k total with a new engine.  I’m pretty sure it’s all wiring, cosmetics,  and woodworking which I’m comfortable doing myself

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, salt deficient said:

Looks sweet.....

Atleast you won't deal with rot on the boat.   IS there any wood in the transom?

Looks like she'll want atleast a 90.

I think it’s rated 75hp max. Interior needs a redo.  It’s all basic carpentry with plywood.  The transom core is wood, but seems solid.

irs been on a trailer it’s whole life.  Never bottom painted

Edited by jkrock

On 4/19/2019 at 6:59 PM, jkrock said:

I saw that one on CL. He had it posted for quite a while. I admired it too. I like the lines. Keep us updated with progress pics. :th:

It will be nice to have a new motor on it, for sure. the motor makes the boat. 

Reliability

Good Luck! Looks like you did well as long a no aluminum problems to deal with.

There are some good deals on smaller 4stoke engines out there.

We need more pics of the inside!

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 0:13 PM, jkrock said:

Guy just made a counter offer.

its fricken killing me.  I’m going to end up with a ****pile of work I don’t need or want.? 

Wife will shoot me 

back and forth we go

i just dumped a 72 22’ mako I loved because it needed repower and too big for me to trailer

Curious, why is the 22 mako too big to trailer?   I have a 17 foot CC that is easy to trailer and I love it.  But it has its limitations, mostly fishing with kids or friends.  Get's a little tight and can't get a lot of speed with the weight.  Thinking of upgrading in a year or two and one of my big concerns is buying a boat that is a pain to trailer.   22' would definitely be pushing it for me, but interested in what you have to say.  What size is the boat you just purchased?  And is it the weight or the length that concerns you more? 

6 hours ago, notime said:

Curious, why is the 22 mako too big to trailer?   I have a 17 foot CC that is easy to trailer and I love it.  But it has its limitations, mostly fishing with kids or friends.  Get's a little tight and can't get a lot of speed with the weight.  Thinking of upgrading in a year or two and one of my big concerns is buying a boat that is a pain to trailer.   22' would definitely be pushing it for me, but interested in what you have to say.  What size is the boat you just purchased?  And is it the weight or the length that concerns you more? 

I solo launched and hauled it all

the Time. Definitely doable in that regard 

what I was referring to and should have been more clear is it was too big for my tow vehicle.  I have a 6 cyl Toyota Tacoma and it was tough on the truck, even just hauling at the ramp.  

I dont think that size boat boat is too big with the appropriate rig

I feel your pain with the buy / no buy, too many projects, yelling wife, etc...  But, you've got her and she looks like sweet little ride.  Have fun with her.

sam

Glad I am not the only one...other projects/time take a backseat...my yard in the summer sometimes looks like the amazon with 8" high grass....bushes are overgrown...paint chipping on fence....but the boat sparkles like a shined diamond. 

It looks like a nice boat, I wanted to contact the seller when I saw the add but held off, I have too many projects. Be interested in seeing more pictures on the interior and transom. Definitely rare on the east coast.