jkrock

I hate boats

Rate this topic

136 posts in this topic

It’s an obsession.  I hate them. It’s  Lke crack.

I found a used POS I THINK could be the perfect boat for me.(my thoughts on how I’d use it), realistic or not

its a POS.  It’s a project. I might be able to do the work myself, or it might need skills beyond me..  it wouldn’t break the bank, but in reality it’s short money that would have no bearing on my life.

Yet I can’t pull the trigger and I can’t walk away.

I hate that I can’t get it out of my mind.

I hate boats

Posted (edited) · Report post

Guy just made a counter offer.

its fricken killing me.  I’m going to end up with a ****pile of work I don’t need or want.? 

Wife will shoot me 

back and forth we go

i just dumped a 72 22’ mako I loved because it needed repower and too big for me to trailer

Edited by jkrock

6 mins ago, wasy said:

pics or it didn't happen

I threw a low offer under asking because it might not be what someone else lose would want.?

seller just came back with a counter that I don’t really want to agree to(keeping parts off boat).  

In my mind it’s something I can trailer, repower with a new motor relatively cheaply, and run economically) all after rebuilding)

personally,?i think I could have a boat I could striper fish the open ocean, trailer and fish the Great Lakes, etc with a new motor and for under $8-&10k when finished..

im going to end up being a dipstick whatever decision I make

If it’s a waste of money, don’t waste the money. Invest it in something with a guaranteed return, maybe something boating-related even. 

8 mins ago, Seadogg said:

If it’s a waste of money, don’t waste the money. Invest it in something with a guaranteed return, maybe something boating-related even. 

Like a hole in the water to throw cash in? 

I have a great lead on one of those and I hate it,, but I want it

You know it';s bad when family sends thoughts and prayers

Edited by jkrock

Just now, jkrock said:

Like a hole in the water to throw cash in? 

I have a great lead on one of those and I hate it,, but I want it

The timeless boater’s dilemma. Best of luck. :howdy:

1 min ago, Seadogg said:

The timeless boater’s dilemma. Best of luck. :howdy:

thanks.  My brother just sent thoughts and  prayers.  made me laugh

Well. i guess it was either a good stroke of luck or my worst nightmare to post this when I did. dpending on how you look at it.   Literally within a few a mins of posting this, the seller countered on an offer he initially rejected and we;ve come together on a price and I'm hoping to finalize the sale tomorrow.

As said, it's a short money boat(well less than $2K), but I think it could make a great boat for my needs once fixed up.  20 foot center console welded aluminum  with a t top and trailer.

Edited by jkrock

This year seems like people are RIDICULOUS with their prices for used boats. I recall seeing one where the seller posted the receipt for what they paid new back in 04 and were selling it for $3k more than they paid for it 15 years ago. If someone even thinks of buying that, they should be doused with cold water in the face. 

I started looking at beater boats (14-16' tin tiller) this year and what I could easily put some elbow grease into to keep it as a good or ok deal.... Well, the devil got to those people too.

I'll look again in the fall which is usually a better time to buy a boat and get a fair to good deal. Otherwise, I'll buy new next winter. 

Better to walk away regretting the unknown than to walk into it and later regret. There is no undo button once that mouse infested, water-logged, moldy barge is sitting in your driveway, before, during, and after your divorce. 

Edited by NHAngler

Agreed.  This is a project for sure.   That said, I think I know what I'm getting into and while I'm not in it to make money, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to take a bath either.   i'm looking for a rig I can fix up and use, not really for resale value.  I tend to hold on to stuff I buy for 10+ years. I doubt I’ll get it in the water this year, which is fine.

ill post a picture of my folly after I drag it home tomorrow 

Edited by jkrock

2 hours ago, Seadogg said:

What do you consider a "return" on buying a used boat? 3/4 your money back?

2 mins ago, Rlan401 said:

What do you consider a "return" on buying a used boat? 3/4 your money back?

I said invest in something. I figured he had a functioning boat but was looking into buying a project. 

2 hours ago, jkrock said:

Agreed.  This is a project for sure.   That said, I think I know what I'm getting into and while I'm not in it to make money, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to take a bath either.   i'm looking for a rig I can fix up and use, not really for resale value.  I tend to hold on to stuff I buy for 10+ years. I doubt I’ll get it in the water this year, which is fine.

ill post a picture of my folly after I drag it home tomorrow 

Project or not, they are all black holes.

Jump in