Cascade

Live on the water, you must be stupid.

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I live in a small community with half of us on the Peconic Bay. Why do some contractors think they can throw any number at you for thier "work"? Not everyone who lives on the water is a Dr, lawyer, business exec, etc who have no knowlege of trades and can see through BS. 

1 hour ago, Fly By Nite said:

You are stupid if you don't get a few bids.  

Way ahead of you there Nite, way ahead. Even when they all come in too high. Some are even comical in thier BS.

Not defending any of those contractors, but when things are busy you pay a premium , and things are busy . Knowing that they tack on some fat , If they don't get your job there are plenty more out there  to bid .

1 hour ago, giant basshole said:

Not defending any of those contractors, but when things are busy you pay a premium , and things are busy . Knowing that they tack on some fat , If they don't get your job there are plenty more out there  to bid .

I'm not talking "making hay while the sun shines". I'm talking absolute gouging and treating the customer like he puts his hat on with nails.

Cascade, you've ben around here for a fairly long time, so I'll hold my tongue and just ask you to either provide us with some details of whatever set you off. Or just tell us it was a rant and all is well, even though you hate contractors, lol. ;) 

Ben, Hate contractors? No I was labor all my life and have no problem paying wages, even premium wages for superior work. The problem starts with the guy giving you an estimate knowing you have a buck in your pocket and thinks it belongs to him.  How about the guy who gave me an estimate for siding, along with 2 other contractors. (17K, 21K). He basickly tells me that because of the salt water he has to use special material and SS screws. (105K). Take your glossy proposal package and get back on your truck before it cools down. I have a trusted plumber, electrican, painter and carpenter who I just show them  the job, do it and bill me.. No problems. We have a small home owners Association and look out for each other. Three of us can work with our hands and give advice to others. Some of the stories of contractors are near criminal. Hate contractors, no. Hate crooks, YES. . 

Stainless nails are a standard for wood siding, but I’d love to know what the other “special material” is. 

I can see the Stainless nail, because the galvanize nails today stink.  Hit the nail and the electroplate comes off.  There not like the old hot dipped nails. 

I have a house on the water and the deck was put down with hot dipped galvanize nails.  Its about 20yrs. old and i had to repair a board last year. When I took the nails out they were like brand new, I couldn't believe the shape they were in. 

I wish they still made them today,  You wouldn't need the stainless nails. 

Yeah, stainless adds up quick. The other day, 100 2 1/2" 316 trim head screws, and 5# of 316  2 1/2" shake nails... $80.00 :eek: 

I feel cascade’s pain.  I got a couple quotes to do some chimney work.  7 feet of brick at the top, 25-30 feet up.  One guy was $14k, it got done for $3800.   First guy could have had me at $5k to be honest. 

On 4/19/2019 at 1:47 PM, giant basshole said:

This. It's the FU price. They don't really want or need your work, so they give the price they'll be happy to do it for, rather than just say "no thanks". I guess it's better than taking the job at a lower price and then subbing it lord knows who or hiring a bunch of idiots off the corner to actually do it.  When contractors give you prices that vary by more than 100%, things are messed up, someone doesn't know their business, or both. Happens all the time. What sucks it is forces the homeowner to become an expert in the contractor's field just to be able to hire someone!  The stainless nails thing is typical.

5 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Yeah, stainless adds up quick. The other day, 100 2 1/2" 316 trim head screws, and 5# of 316  2 1/2" shake nails... $80.00 :eek: 

yep $80.00 kills.   When I was a kid 50 cents a pound in a brown paper bag?