adams54

Swim shad vs bucktail pros/cons

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

No question in the right hands bucktails are the deadliest weapon in a surf bag. Nearly infinitely customizable weights, trailers, colors. They're low cost, hold up to bluefish can be retrieved almost any way you want. Not questioning the superiority of the bucktail here. My question is...Are there any situations where the paddle tail soft plastic swim shads shine over the bucktail? I have a few thoughts on this but would like to hear what you guys think.

I really am no expert, but I'm thinking maybe the paddle tail might work better in calm water that is not moving much. Maybe the vibration from the paddle would help. I'm sure someone knows for sure.

There are better fishermen on here than me.

This is my take on lures overall.

The longer the fish has to take it before he misses it, the more he spends time with it.     Anything fish like blasting by a fish in an inlet, it's poop or get off the pot.  Slack tide, the more he's got time to see if he wants it or not.

The milder the current / conditions / visibility, the more realistic it needs to be......

13 mins ago, adams54 said:

No question in the right hands bucktails are the deadliest weapon in a surf bag. Nearly infinitely customizable weights, trailers, colors. They're low cost, hold up to bluefish can be retrieved almost any way you want. Not questioning the superiority of the bucktail here. My question is...Are there any situations where the paddle tail soft plastic swim shads shine over the bucktail? I have a few thoughts on this but would like to hear what you guys think.

I would say that a shad would possibly do better in calm conditions or very clear water. I also believe that they don't sink as fast as most bucktails generally speaking, so fishing them on a flat sandy beach like the ones we have here in NJ can be more productive than a bucktail. You can fish them just off the bottom without them dragging as much as a BT. With that being said, I don't ever go fishing without a white bucktail, and I mean ever haha!

They really are the same lure dressed differently.  It's like asking is a otter tail or a curly grub the best trailer for a bt or is white or chartreuse a better color hair/trailer.  They are both infinitely customizable by size, profile and color.

Generally, rubber floats better than hair... but even that's not true for all jigs.

They both have their time and place. I like shads in shallower water and slower currents. I also like them heavy and in deep fast current. Same logic applys fishing them as a bucktail or jig. I think that learning to fish those three different lures is essential if your going to catch anything when the fishing is tough. 

they are pretty much the same thing...

whats the difference  between a  shad   vs a ducktail with a shad buddy or a curly tail?

if you have to nit pick you could say well a dense bucktail could use to sink slower vs a sparse ducktail or shad.  

In my mind its the same style of fishing. 

like this guy says. 

1 hour ago, Beachorbust said:

They really are the same lure dressed differently.  It's like asking is a otter tail or a curly grub the best trailer for a bt or is white or chartreuse a better color hair/trailer.  They are both infinitely customizable by size, profile and color.

Generally, rubber floats better than hair... but even that's not true for all jigs.

I love swim shads or paddle tails. If I can, I will throw them before a bucktail. Having said that, bucktails definitely fare much better in rougher conditions. I think they're easier to cast and stay down lower. My past few outings have had me keep a swim shad as my first bait out. 

55 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

they are pretty much the same thing...

whats the difference  between a  shad   vs a ducktail with a shad buddy or a curly tail?

if you have to nit pick you could say well a dense bucktail could use to sink slower vs a sparse ducktail or shad.  

In my mind its the same style of fishing. 

like this guy says. 

No debate that its the same style of fishing I'm just getting opinions about the pro/cons of each in various conditions.

9 mins ago, hobobob said:

Sometime they want plastic, sometime they want hair.  Why? because.  Just give em what they want. 

This is the best answer. Throw whatever is working.  You get one on a BT keep throwing it.  

it's a crapshoot.

I have hit fish in the current sweep,switched to the other lure and hooked up again.

then went back and didn't get hit but,the next cast hit another one.

thing to me is,have both present and go fish.

HH