JerseySwells

Pre-Spawn Massacre

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

It's such a joke. Charters, party boats, etc. etc... The amount of prespawn bass being killed has me disgusted. Big healthy breeders with millions of eggs just going to waste. No wonder the species is in decline. Could you imagine the state of the stock if regulations just prevented the killing of egg laden bass this time of year? It's a shame how widespread the disrespect for our local fish stocks is. And give me a break with the "its my right" argument. Thats just an excuse for machoism, self importance and/or greed. End of rant. Don't @ me. 

Agreed!!! I have no problem with keeping,but let as many as the females lay their eggs first,also nobody needs to keep a fish a day,i see too many that do,implement a tagging system where upon purchase of your say $50 or $100 license you get a very limited amount of tags for slot fish depending on the stock assesment for that year,Coastwise Gamefish Status too.

6 hours ago, JerseySwells said:

It's such a joke. Charters, party boats, etc. etc... The amount of prespawn bass being killed has me disgusted. Big healthy breeders with millions of eggs just going to waste. No wonder the species is in decline. Could you imagine the state of the stock if regulations just prevented the killing of egg laden bass this time of year? It's a shame how widespread the disrespect for our local fish stocks is. And give me a break with the "its my right" argument. Thats just an excuse for machoism, self importance and/or greed. End of rant. Don't @ me. 

kind of you like chocolate and I like vanilla.  everyone has a right to do as they please legally.

I don't target stripers from boat any longer as they basically by pass my fishing grounds.  now I do play with the shorties in early season from land occasionally when bored.

when we did fish for them it was catch and release as they were schooling up to make there run up for spawning, but as they made there run back through swimming on the feed, they were spawned out so we didn't face that issue and releasing was not an option.

51 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

Please share the correspondence you have had with fisheries management on this topic. I would like to join your crusade to save the fish eggs.

Lol. Idk what's worse, your suggestion that fisheries management is remotely competent or your attempt at sarcasm

49 mins ago, JerseySwells said:

Lol. Idk what's worse, your suggestion that fisheries management is remotely competent or your attempt at sarcasm

I don't think it was an attempt, he nailed it

1 hour ago, coolhandfluke said:

releasing was not an option.

What does that even mean? Did the stripers pull a gun on you and force the harvest or something?

1 hour ago, coolhandfluke said:

everyone has a right to do as they please legally.

There is a profound difference between a "right" and legal behavior.  Harvesting is a privilege.  They can take away a privilege as they please ( see driving license, striped bass moratorium, etc etc.)

If it were legal to stretch a net across the Hudson and kill everything trying to pass, would you support their "right" to do so?

Obviously this is an overly dramatized example.  But if you trust the powers that be to properly manage the fishery, then you aren't paying attention.  

Don't know how many times this bs "right to harvest" argument has to be brought up before people stop regurgitating it.  Also note I am not advocating one way or another here, although I have my opinions.  Just saying that you have to take a look at your actions and determine whether you are doing the right thing.  If you've done so and decide to keep a bass, that is your prerogative at this point in time and I'm not going to criticize you for it.  Just saying you should look at the laws as a minimum that can and should be exceeded.

that's why I gave the ice cream analogy. its what makes the world go around.

if its legal, no sense In beating a dead horse.  as I stated we never kept full of eggs fish.

as it stands now its legal to keep stripers full of eggs, correct ?   to each is own. I don't condone it, but I don't tell people not to if its legal.

I don't smoke pot, but once its legal in jersey, I wont tell my neighbor its wrong.

7 mins ago, JerseyJammin said:

What does that even mean? Did the stripers pull a gun on you and force the harvest or something?

now this was an attempt at sarcasm:p

after they are spawned out, it was game on.   we kept our legal limit of fish.   releasing them was never in the thought process.   if we had a great day maybe on the east side of the 60ft or where ever, we would call in any friend in the area and hand him our anchor rope so they could catch to.   did this many times .   

15 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

now this was an attempt at sarcasm:p

after they are spawned out, it was game on.   we kept our legal limit of fish.   releasing them was never in the thought process.   if we had a great day maybe on the east side of the 60ft or where ever, we would call in any friend in the area and hand him our anchor rope so they could catch to.   did this many times .   

:beatin:

2 hours ago, coolhandfluke said:

kind of you like chocolate and I like vanilla.  everyone has a right to do as they please legally.

I don't target stripers from boat any longer as they basically by pass my fishing grounds.  now I do play with the shorties in early season from land occasionally when bored.

when we did fish for them it was catch and release as they were schooling up to make there run up for spawning, but as they made there run back through swimming on the feed, they were spawned out so we didn't face that issue and releasing was not an option.

Unfortunately, we need government agencies because people do as they please without a single consideration of the harm caused to other people or animals.  Even if it is legal. A lot of those laws are in place to keep Omega draining the ocean for fish pills or so  that people in Nebraska can eat striped bass which they don't need to live. 

47 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

"Striped Bass are overfished, and overfishing is occurring" - But hey, its you're right! 

12 mins ago, JerseySwells said:

"Striped Bass are overfished, and overfishing is occurring" - But hey, its you're right! 

yep but we have not targeted them in 3 years.  matter of fact i even sold my 4 striper set ups which were 4500 bait runners.  no sense in letting them sit in the basement.