Marone Pursuit

Surf Glove Recommendation

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

31 mins ago, quack said:

Braid doesn't cut into the finish on gorilla gloves?  Do they keep you warm if wet?  That's where mechnix fails

I haven’t had any issues with braid cutting into them, never really even thought of that, they will wear on a tip or two  but not usually until multiple trips and I buy them in packs of 3 when they go on sale, plus if you lose them or one or leave them by accident, it’s not a lift on the wallet to get another pair....just my opinion, I am sure there are many great alternatives but these have worked great so far, biggest key for me was not feeling like I have a glove on when working tackle, meaning they dont hinder anything about the way I fish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 mins ago, NewEngBoy011 said:

I haven’t had any issues with braid cutting into them, never really even thought of that, they will wear on a tip or two  but not usually until multiple trips and I buy them in packs of 3 when they go on sale, plus if you lose them or one or leave them by accident, it’s not a lift on the wallet to get another pair....just my opinion, I am sure there are many great alternatives but these have worked great so far, biggest key for me was not feeling like I have a glove on when working tackle, meaning they dont hinder anything about the way I fish

I haven't explored a lot because I only wear gloves when my hands get cold which is usually only in November.  gloves with a latex finish (that I've tried) get sliced up on the braid and then snag on the cast.do these resist cutting (I think you answered that)?  And do they sap body heat when wet (my ultimate question)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to do the glove thing and it worked but all I wanted to protect was my casting finger. Switched to a couple wraps of hockey tape on said finger and haven't looked back. And 1 roll lasts years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, quack said:

I haven't explored a lot because I only wear gloves when my hands get cold which is usually only in November.  gloves with a latex finish (that I've tried) get sliced up on the braid and then snag on the cast.do these resist cutting (I think you answered that)?  And do they sap body heat when wet (my ultimate question)?

It definite takes the bite off, especially late night tides when your fatigued, the slim glove reduces exposure to any breeze, with that said they’re a glove and they’re going to get wet, but I prefer them on rather than  bare skin being exposed to elements and handling leaders/braid during the wee hours of the night when the brain is working overtime 

Edited by NewEngBoy011

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the aquaskins casting finger.

 Bought it used it twice , wasn't a fan as it seemed to course for my liking.

 Went the athletic tape route then eventually got a batter's glove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the batter's glove and the mechanix gloves are probably similar.  A soft natural "leather" finish.  Braid doesn't cut it and doesn't catch on the glove during the cast.  Both suck if you gotta keep warm and they get wet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never found a glove that worked for me.  Seems like all of them reduced the feel of the line on my finger and caused difficulty in casting.  Best thing for me was to toughen up the line finger by doing my home landscaping/gardening without gloves .  Finger gets calloused enough where braid never really bothered me.  

If anyone wants to try this method, I have a bunch of gardens that need weeding.  No experience required...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I used to use standard white medical tape.  Buddy showed me Nexcare medical tape.  Kinda latex-like, and it sorta-sticks to itself. Very comfortable and doesn't come undone in water.  I like it.  soft but easily stands up to  a session of casting braid.

 

Gloves, IDK.  I have used wool fingerless and they are OK.  Also have the Glacier gloves.  Not too crazy about those.  they are kinda stiff...and the stitching holes let water in.  They don't insulate when wet like neoprene does so fingers get cold.

 

Heard good things about the Steelhead gloves from Kast.  Never tried them.  Pricey.

Edited by blackdogfish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the AquaSkinz Black Thunder gloves early and late in the season. I don’t like casting with anything but tape on my finger, so i cut the tip of the index finger off. I really like the gorilla type gloves for the summer months, or i go with nothing but a taped finger. I have crappy circulation in my hands, and they tend to get cold and stiff easily on cooler nights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

I used to use standard white medical tape.  Buddy showed me Nexcare medical tape.  Kinda latex-like, and it sorta-sticks to itself. Very comfortable and doesn't come undone in water.  I like it.  soft but easily stands up to  a session of casting braid.

 

Gloves, IDK.  I have used wool fingerless and they are OK.  Also have the Glacier gloves.  Not too crazy about those.  they are kinda stiff...and the stitching holes let water in.  They don't insulate when wet like neoprene does so fingers get cold.

 

Heard good things about the Steelhead gloves from Kast.  Never tried them.  Pricey.

Gonna pick up a roll and give it a try. Grabbed a pack of braid aid at a local shop, peeled off within an hour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.