Surf Glove Recommendation

Rate this topic

For one reason or another (most likely just a lot more time spent on the water) my index finger was a mess by the end of the fall run.  Work in a field that requires a lot of manual dexterity/manipulation (insert joke here) so it made the workday just that much more awful :D

Anyways, anyone have any insight/info on a decent surf-casting glove?  Thanks in advance for the info.

You can pretty much use anything from gardening gloves to work gloves, but from now til June I like the StormR neoprene gloves with Kevlar tips. I cut about 1.5” off the trigger finger and thumb for more ease and sensitivity. Wrap the expose fingers in either water proof bandaids or medical tape. Or duct or electrical tape, too.

Also a big advantage to wearing gloves throughout the entire year is that they might save you from a treble in the hand 

Edited by rbart

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

grease monkey gorilla grip gloves at your local HD.  

If those are the black gloves with either the blue trim or yellow trim around the wrist that is what I use. Once in a while they go on sale for like a buck each.

Try taping a finger up.   

I don't like neopreme.  I got several pairs and wont use them.   MAybe I bought them the correct wrong size.  They seem too constrictive, and the tension reduces circulation.  MAking your hands cold and sore.  I might need to buy baggy.   IF buying online, buy a size bigger than yo think is right for you.  And make sure they accept returns.  This I think is an item you wait until you can get to place and try them on in person.

For warmth, I like the wool gloves alot better.  I have 2 pairs.  One I wear and the other pair kept under my jacket.  Swap pairs when I get cold.  Works alot better.   They don't address the bail finger funk.......  I like the finger tip less ones with the fold over mitt cover.  At times they can get annoying with the reel.  I have army ones that I cut the tips off too.

I do have the athlete's tape when my finger is shot.    Some folks go with long leaders, so your casting thick mono instead of braid.   MY spare rig is setup like that.  Partially for using bait when my shoulder / neck is acting up.  I got a bad disc in my neck.  Cast a heavy weight just nicely.  I use that from North Carolina drum fishing with bait.

Part of my solution is to use lighter line, lighter lures, and shorter rods.  Easy on everything.

I have used the light and basic mechanix style gloves.  Just not thick nylon basic ones.

Edited by salt deficient

36 mins ago, Fish it all said:

I use a batter's glove , protects my finger,  not bulky fits tight with a velcro strap ,gives that extra protection if I need to take a couple wraps of braid , lasted through last season and it's still ok.

Bought at Wallyworld.

That’s a good suggestion. Never thought to use them even though I grew up playing baseball. 

15 hours ago, hobobob said:

grease monkey gorilla grip gloves at your local HD.  

That's what I use. Maximum dexterity for cheapest possible price 

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea