Misled

Jetty Rod

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

The ole' St. Croix Triumph surf, which i used as my jetty rod, has had it's last outing and  it's time for a new jetty rod.  Very interested to see what others use on jetty's.

I need a rod with a good backbone as I don't always have a safe step down to the waters edge and sometimes need to heave a fish up a few rocks.  I do carry a telescoping gaff but I don't want to gaff any fish I don't intend on keeping.  I think this is what did my Triump in.  It lacked the power to lift.  At the same time,  I use .5 to 1.5ounce bucktails and up to 3ounce bottles, swimmers etc.

I was originally looking at:

Mojo surf 9' 1-4 - wasn't sure if it had enough backbone to lift if i needed to

Mojo surf 10'6 2-6 - liked the lure rating but not the length

Tsunami Airwave Elite 9'3 3-5 - felt like it had plenty backbone but I think I would be giving up sensitivity an feel on a anything under 2ounces

So i visited TD and a very knowledgeable gentleman steered me towards the Shimano Travela in 8" and the Daiwa Proteus.  I really liked both but they were rated for smaller lures but he assured they both could handle SS 2 3/8 lures as long as i don't launch them as a surf rod.

Wondering what others use and your thoughts and experiences.  

thx 

20 mins ago, Misled said:

The ole' St. Croix Triumph surf, which i used as my jetty rod, has had it's last outing and  it's time for a new jetty rod.  Very interested to see what others use on jetty's.

I need a rod with a good backbone as I don't always have a safe step down to the waters edge and sometimes need to heave a fish up a few rocks.  I do carry a telescoping gaff but I don't want to gaff any fish I don't intend on keeping.  I think this is what did my Triump in.  It lacked the power to lift.  At the same time,  I use .5 to 1.5ounce bucktails and up to 3ounce bottles, swimmers etc.

I was originally looking at:

Mojo surf 9' 1-4 - wasn't sure if it had enough backbone to lift if i needed to

Mojo surf 10'6 2-6 - liked the lure rating but not the length

Tsunami Airwave Elite 9'3 3-5 - felt like it had plenty backbone but I think I would be giving up sensitivity an feel on a anything under 2ounces

So i visited TD and a very knowledgeable gentleman steered me towards the Shimano Travela in 8" and the Daiwa Proteus.  I really liked both but they were rated for smaller lures but he assured they both could handle SS 2 3/8 lures as long as i don't launch them as a surf rod.

Wondering what others use and your thoughts and experiences.  

thx 

I'd be interested to hear what people have to say about this rod it interests me. Is it a telephone pole that's super heavy?

You want power or lower lure rating? One or the other, can't have both.  Some 2-6 have softer tip like the fsc1088, it allow you to go down to 1oz.  3/4oz won't load the rod properly, but still usable. 

I mainly use a 9’ Avid for jetty duty. It’s pretty fast action though, which is great for bucktails/swimshads, but not ideal for other plugs. 

10’ 3-6 Airwave Elite would be a less expensive alternative worth a look. 

15 mins ago, hobobob said:

You want power or lower lure rating? One or the other, can't have both.  Some 2-6 have softer tip like the fsc1088, it allow you to go down to 1oz.  3/4oz won't load the rod properly, but still usable. 

Bob, what brand is this fsc1088 tried to search but couldnt find a brand.  thx

Sorry, that's fiberstar composite, sadly, the company closed down this winter so it's no longer available.  It's 9ft, 2-6 moderate action tip, but tones of power on the back end.  You'll want a more moderate rod if you want to extend the lower end.  Depends on how the jetty is setup, you'll want a longer / shorter rod.  In my opinion, ideally, you'll want a rod long enough so the tip can reach the edge of the jetty vertically.  Too long and it will get in the way, too short and you'll snag the edge more often. 

23 mins ago, TLap21 said:

I mainly use a 9’ Avid for jetty duty. It’s pretty fast action though, which is great for bucktails/swimshads, but not ideal for other plugs. 

10’ 3-6 Airwave Elite would be a less expensive alternative worth a look. 

Yeah, same with the Triumph i was using.  Great feel on the bucktails but wasn't meant as a jetty rod and eventually gave in after i had no choice but to lift a keeper to a reachable height.  

I have the Airwave 9'6 3/4 - 3 and it's fantastic on everything i cast when surf fishing, wouldn't use it on the jetty to haul up anything substantial.

give the odm nex 1 9ft 1-5 a looksy. i dont know what your looking to spend but i have the 10ft version and my buddy has the 9ft version and theres a noticable difference.

23 mins ago, MikedNJ said:

give the odm nex 1 9ft 1-5 a looksy. i dont know what your looking to spend but i have the 10ft version and my buddy has the 9ft version and theres a noticable difference.

they look great but out of my price range.  thx

if you want to stay with  st. Croix, the 9' 1-4  has enough backbone imo even though I never throw 4, it'll swing 3, its a bit faster than the 10'6", 9' feels more sturdy than 10'6

I went with a Star Stellar light 9' 1 to 4 0z. Rods reforms great. Rod is cast great, feels great. Last week lifted4 shorts with no problem. I like it better than my St Croix's.

I fish Atlantic city myself.  

Jetty fishing over there you need to explain a bit better.   Without spot burning.

You fishing the inlet?   1.5oz seems light to me there, so I am wonder if you do or not. 

I'd go shorter like 9 to 9.5ft.   With a heavy tip rod, you might want to select lures that don't need a ton of work to get the action going good.  Easy swimmers.

Instead of a gaff, I have brought a long handled net with a smallet mouth.  You can tie a string to it, so you got some catching room before it swims away.  I got a roughly 1lb weight on the end of mine.  A painted large machine bolt.  One you need a 2 inch wrench to turn......   I've seen concrete filled large wiffleballs and tennis balls used before.  MAybe 8ft or so of rope.  

I have a rubber walker end on it from the pharmacy.   Temped to put a korker stud or two on it....

I don't need much help walking because I use korkers, so haven't been in a rush to put it on there.

IF you fish where I think you might, if your near deep water, get a very dark 2 and 2.5oz jig from the tin man if youre there at night.......  Bullheads seem to have a nice blend of drag and forward balance.  I switch to lighter ones where I cast short.