Location of Item/Seller

I have mixed feelings/thoughts about this, so I wanted to put it out for discussion or feedback from the boss.

Would it make life easier if the sellers of items put their or the item's location in the listing?  I know that all prices should include shipping costs, but in many cases people are negotiating in threads for 'pickup items' and asking about shipping.  In other threads people will post a price that includes shipping and many will look for a negotiation and a local pickup.  

With my personal preference to always have a used/open-box sale available and in-hand to evaluate before having a fiscal transaction; it seems like an obnoxious post every time I'm asking "where are you located" in these types of threads.

I can see that people have the ability to put their location in their profile and many people don't want to have that information out there.  I also see the potential benefit smoothing/shortening the process in some cases.

What's your thoughts?

As always, we prefer to allow folks as much privacy as they desire. We allow folks to put their location in their profiles - we allow folks to mention their location in their post - we allow folks to ask for their location - but we won’t force people to put their location in their profile.  While some folks prefer to pick up stuff in person, lots of sellers would rather ship. We allow buyers to establish any terms they wish in regards to shipping or picking up :)

Bottom line is that we establish rules here that keep threads moving and give the seller as much flexibility as possible while keeping things above board and fair to everyone that is able to use the BST Forums. Forcing people to add their location in their profile in case someone wants to offer to pick up an item the seller said they’d ship...or really for any other reason isn’t going to happen. Not that it’s a bad idea, it’s been discussed many times here over the past two decades, its just that we don’t have any desire to force folks to have to give up any information publicly that they might prefer to keep private.

They are welcome to post their location in their profile or their posts - you are welcome to ask - and anyone that offers something for sale ‘pickup only’ should obviously add their location in that thread  :)

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

It is a pain in the ass to always have to ask where the :airquote: pick up is. Still better than having some knuckle dragging neanderthal showing up at your house to kill your cats because you insulted his black hole.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

• 6 months later...