Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icarussound

Kayaking Sebastian inlet

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I've been kayaking in my outback mostly in the lagoon south of the inlet but ventured into SI last week, seems doable when there are fewer boats to deal with. Now that snow birds are flying North again I'm going to start working the inlet mostly the channel in the middle from just west of the bridge. Current and wind...

So, boater and (kayakers?) what conditions would you venture out - incomming or slack I think and obviously not when there are big seas - any advice? Looking for snook in the middle of the channel mostly, using my bucktails...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not sure about fishing the inlet in a kayak. Lots of boats run that place without regard to the speed they are supposed to go. Too many just run as fast as they can and someone in a kayak would just be a speed bump to some clown that doesn't pay attention.  Be careful!!

Edited by acesover

I would venture out in NO conditions in that inlet... Our weather can turn on a dime most days..... the current/waves and boaters that are also new to the inlet will mess up "Experienced paddler" don't forget that's a narrow inlet and most boaters are flying thru there... and if you are doing it by yourself "WHY"... keep temping faith and she will end up biting you in the rear...plenty of great fishing on the inside of the inlet...Tell you what go to a Florida Kayak forum and ask this same question and see what they say...:rav:

I was at the inlet on Tuesday. After talking to the guys at the shop they talked me out of the very same idea. After fishing their I would say kayaking in the inlet is a death wish, condition change as fast as you can blink and the current is pretty dang fast.

Ha ha, strong opinions! I have the luxury of being able to eyeball what’s out there as I drive over the bridge, and decide if it’s worth trying or not. I did kayak last week and there were only a few yahoos speeding. Looks fairly quiet some days. Should be much quieter next week. I’m only out early, before dawn generally. But I take your advice seriously.

Last year I was catching a fair number of snook off the beach but this year has been much less productive so far.

Weekdays early should be fine, I just need to time it properly so I don’t get swept out to sea and die the wrong death. Cancer is my future, lung or skin, not drowning...I hope!

2 mins ago, icarussound said:

Ha ha, strong opinions! I have the luxury of being able to eyeball what’s out there as I drive over the bridge, and decide if it’s worth trying or not. I did kayak last week and there were only a few yahoos speeding. Looks fairly quiet some days. Should be much quieter next week. I’m only out early, before dawn generally. But I take your advice seriously.

Last year I was catching a fair number of snook off the beach but this year has been much less productive so far.

Weekdays early should be fine, I just need to time it properly so I don’t get swept out to sea and die the wrong death. Cancer is my future, lung or skin, not drowning...I hope!

Its all about timing. Weekdays being best and slack tide. I plan to do it once i move down. I do have an electric motor on my yak though. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

When our weather turns it kind of sneaks up on you, at times there no "Timing" it just happens.... lots of boaters have gotten bit out there and some of them never came home because of our weather... But hey to each his own...like i said go to any of Florida kayak forums and ask this same question....My Opinion is strong for a reason just like others have stated... It something that shouldnt be done... i kayak but i have pass those yrs of temping faith...Its one thing to have chit happen, its another to just go and stand in front of it.... and as far a motor on a yak.... i yet to see one outrun waves when one of our storms move thru... Oh i only found one youtube on fishing the inlet in yak and it was a bunch of Spanish guys that really didnt have much sense .... hell they even gaff a fish just to release it :banghd: oh i'm Spanish also so its okay for me to say that...:shaky: Heck you can kill a bear with a 22 .... but there's a reason why you don't even try it...:laugh:

Spoiler

:beatin: :laugh:

Edited by Drako

Just to be clear, I’m not talking about going out the Inlet to sea, Im talking up as far as the bridge just east of the swimming area. I’m not that foolhardy. Well maybe, but still...!

3 hours ago, Drako said:

When our weather turns it kind of sneaks up on you, at times there no "Timing" it just happens.... lots of boaters have gotten bit out there and some of them never came home because of our weather... But hey to each his own...like i said go to any of Florida kayak forums and ask this same question....My Opinion is strong for a reason just like others have stated... It something that shouldnt be done... i kayak but i have pass those yrs of temping faith...Its one thing to have chit happen, its another to just go and stand in front of it.... and as far a motor on a yak.... i yet to see one outrun waves when one of our storms move thru... Oh i only found one youtube on fishing the inlet in yak and it was a bunch of Spanish guys that really didnt have much sense .... hell they even gaff a fish just to release it :banghd: oh i'm Spanish also so its okay for me to say that...:shaky: Heck you can kill a bear with a 22 .... but there's a reason why you don't even try it...:laugh:

Hide contents

:beatin: :laugh:

Im not talking a bout exiting the inlet. Thats easier to do by surf launching. Im taljing fishing the inside during the last of currents . ive done it in shinnecock and moriches prety much the two worst NY ones. Ive launched off the beach here and gone atleast a mile offshore. I plan to fish upto 3 miles offshore down here with a group of fellow kayakers. My radar app is always on as well as my vhf weather.

For myself if I’m looking to go outside and fish the gulf, the moon has the tides strong I’ll play the tide game and ride it out. Timing it so I’m coming back in the same way, by tide. Other times going through a Pass is no big deal regardless of current direction. I can always poke my head out and beach it, call it NG and walk back inside if the gulf is torn up a bit from winds. If I’m second guessing my take on going out, I call it and stay inside. 

3 miles out is not bad, pay attention to winds and current directions. You have to just keep your guard up and know when to call it. Sometimes it means staying close at first and paddling up against the wind direction, make your paddle out and ride them back closer to your starting point. 

If youre a strong paddler you can fight that wind easy enough based on speed of winds. 

20 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

For myself if I’m looking to go outside and fish the gulf, the moon has the tides strong I’ll play the tide game and ride it out. Timing it so I’m coming back in the same way, by tide. Other times going through a Pass is no big deal regardless of current direction. I can always poke my head out and beach it, call it NG and walk back inside if the gulf is torn up a bit from winds. If I’m second guessing my take on going out, I call it and stay inside. 

3 miles out is not bad, pay attention to winds and current directions. You have to just keep your guard up and know when to call it. Sometimes it means staying close at first and paddling up against the wind direction, make your paddle out and ride them back closer to your starting point. 

If youre a strong paddler you can fight that wind easy enough based on speed of winds. 

I have peddle drive plus paddle plus electric. Again its all about tides and winds. You may only get one day out of ten you want to go.  If your stupid you win stupid prizes. 

39 mins ago, quest450 said:

kayaks are for calm backwaters.......don't be THAT guy :rolleyes:

Bullcrap. Look at the guys running the charters off of se fla. Catching billfish out of yaks.

Theres also a huge Facebook offshore club that gets together for paddles . You dont want to go alone.

Add outriggers and You are even more stable .

7 mins ago, reelfire said:

Bullcrap. Look at the guys running the charters off of se fla. Catching billfish out of yaks.

Theres also a huge Facebook offshore club that gets together for paddles . You dont want to go alone.

Add outriggers and You are even more stable .

Have you ever been out of Sebastion Inlet?

2 mins ago, CapeDave said:

Have you ever been out of Sebastion Inlet?

Did I say I was going out of the inlet. I said i would fish inside the inlet. If i want to go offshore Ill surf launch from the ocean beach. 

I play in some of the worst inlets in NY. One of thats listed as a port of no safe entry. 

As I said I may get one shot out of 10 when conditions and timing are correct.  

Ive been at this along time. I get more fish onbthe inside corners than i need at the mouth. 

I usually only do it during the week when boat traffic is way down and i ddont have to compete with jetty guys for real estate.