sauerkraut

NON FINESSE Fishing,

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Fishing the beaches, and living only 15 miles south of the CCC, I have seen a lot of amazing blunders.  I will share a couple and hope you will also.

I will start by laughing at myself with this eel ball screw up.

269K.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was stocker trout fishing 3 days ago, and chanced to pull this silver Phoebie out of a stream side tree branch.  I really just cannot believe that anyone would rig a spoon with a snap swivel that is almost as long as the lure itself. Pure non finesse.  Separately, I have witnessed people dangling said lures below bobbers, but I do not (yet) have photographic evidence of same.

Find....JPG

Edited by sauerkraut
Attach a picture

7 hours ago, sauerkraut said:

I have witnessed people dangling said lures below bobbers, but I do not (yet) have photographic evidence of same.

Find....JPG

Below a large bobber that'd be a fair approximation of a snapper popper.  Fishing a jig or small lure below a float is rather common in some areas, and fwiw can be really effective.

11 mins ago, HKJonathan said:

I found this beauty snagged in a big clump of seaweed on the beach ast fall. 

8FA2F01C-0C9E-43F3-934E-4A0CBE8A2DFE.jpeg

Someone had an idea going on there... just not sure exactly...  OK, here's my guess.  The fish were onto the small kastmaster, but they couldnt get it out far enough OR couldnt get it to hang deep enough while keeping it moving.  So, let's add an ava-weight!   

I'll defend this one as well.  Who hasnt added an ava or other heavier metal to help deliver a teaser?   

Great thread idea.  Thanks!

I had a surf rod with me when I decided to stop in Elizabeth City and fish off the public pier in waterfront park.  Pretty big snap swivel on the line!  OH

8456120C-DAFB-4302-B09C-41E308E2261E.jpeg

I was fishing next to a guy in freshwater, on the bank of a small feeder to a pond. He was using bait and boober for whatever he could cook later, at a range of about fifteen feet. Every time the bobber jiggled, he set the hook like an inverse baseball swing. He was also close to 300lbs. Needless to say, each miss resulted in his rig whipping the shrubbery behind him, and any takers were launched a short distance into the woods. The following year I was fishing the same spot, and caught a crappie with no lower jaw, neatly healed over. I suspect the two events were related.

More nightmare (daymare) fishing charter tackle, Belize, 2018.  This fishing was arranged by a rather upscale resort where we incarcerated ourselves, by some well meaning but utterly unfinessed hoteliers.   I complained; and to their credit, the next day, they replaced this tackle with new cheap, but workable stuff.

I guess an old padlock for chain to rope for their anchor line is cheaper than buying a shackle (last pic).

thumb_IMG_0213_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0216_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0224_1024.jpg

If you're not casting, and you can reach the bottom, you're not underfilled, I guess. What's worse to me is on the local (MA/NH) groundfishing party boats, when the rentals are returned with the line lay in utter chaos, humped, criss-crossed, dug in, etc. Saw a guy with a rental hook something huge, they pulled anchor to follow it. Mates said big shark, but it was fast as hell, it swept from stern to bow, with the line entering the water 70 yards out, and who knows how much more below, at least 20mph where the line disappeared, so I think maybe tuna.

Anyway, the line was paying out in jerks, audibly snapping across the gaps and humps, and of course it broke off as they freed the anchor. He'd have had a chance if somebody had bothered to pay out the line and reel it back in right.

Biggest bass I ever caught was on a 3/4 oz Kastmaster with 2 steel leaders linked together to get more length. 

Mid 80's trout opener.... guy with what looked like a 7wt fly rod casting a 2 ounce sinker and bait.

Should've heard that clicker SCREAM!

42 mins ago, Tbird650 said:

My girl taking a selfie with me in the background with my bag open about to lose my gear lol.... got a  proper bag since then :)

B8D34CDE-7ADD-4071-B498-67773C59A6D5.jpeg