Tonybags79

Fish jumping out water

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I was at the pier by my house earlier n I heard n saw  fish jumping out the water, wen I see this happening is there a certain lure I should be using?also wat does it mean wen fish r jumping out of the water?

It could be baitfish being scared out of the water by marauding predators (blues/ stripers, etc.). Sometimes it’s the predators feeding at the surface and catch some air after over pursuing their meal. I’ve never seen that myself though. Usually, blues and stripers will swirl and surface without breaching the water so much that you would call it jumping. Stripers live to tail smack baitfish at the surface. Could be that too. 

I would probably try topwater expecting bluefish. Eventually I would move on to a jig, bucktail, or metal spoon that I can get to the bottom in case there are bigger lazier stripers along the bottom waiting for free food to fall down from the frenzy!

What you most likely saw was a school of bunker. As for the lure of choice...a snag hook through the back and live line. Use it for bait if nothing grabs it. Not the most sophisticated method but it sure does produce big fish if they are in the area. 

9 hours ago, Tonybags79 said:

I was at the pier by my house earlier n I heard n saw  fish jumping out the water, wen I see this happening is there a certain lure I should be using?also wat does it mean wen fish r jumping out of the water?

Not sure where you are seeing this exactly but if you see large fish rolling and breaking the surface in brackish water you can be looking at carp this time of year too. Flashes of orangish bronze color can be the tell tail sign of that. I have run into this on numerous back bay areas close to that salt fresh water mix this time of year. Some of these carp can get very large and can get the old heart pounding too.

1 hour ago, redfin said:

Not sure where you are seeing this exactly but if you see large fish rolling and breaking the surface in brackish water you can be looking at carp this time of year too. Flashes of orangish bronze color can be the tell tail sign of that. I have run into this on numerous back bay areas close to that salt fresh water mix this time of year. Some of these carp can get very large and can get the old heart pounding too.

Building on this - in my experience, carp jump by themselves; quiet water them SPLASH!  Feeding fish will look like schools of splashes. But like others have said - toss a line and see what happens. There is not a single right answer so try a few things. Even heavier lures like bucktail jigs and Kastmaster can be kept near the surface by not letting them sink, working them with a high rod tip, etc. 

Bottomline: have your rod with you and carry a small variety of lures. 

20 hours ago, EricDice said:

It could be baitfish being scared out of the water by marauding predators (blues/ stripers, etc.). Sometimes it’s the predators feeding at the surface and catch some air after over pursuing their meal. I’ve never seen that myself though. Usually, blues and stripers will swirl and surface without breaching the water so much that you would call it jumping. Stripers live to tail smack baitfish at the surface. Could be that too. 

I would probably try topwater expecting bluefish. Eventually I would move on to a jig, bucktail, or metal spoon that I can get to the bottom in case there are bigger lazier stripers along the bottom waiting for free food to fall down from the frenzy!

EricDice will you stop that,,bass do not slap bait with their tail.

HH

Fish busting surface first lure of choice is popper. If they dont touch that and you know its bait fish then snag rig and live line one .

3 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

EricDice will you stop that,,bass do not slap bait with their tail.

HH

HH, tongue-in-cheek or legit refuting of the tail slap? I always assumed this was an accepted fact of striper behavior. After googling it, I see that it is in dispute. I have had my smack it Jr popper “smacked” several feet out of the water by stripers (def not blues). But I guess that was accidental. Or, you’re just joshin!

2 hours ago, EricDice said:

HH, tongue-in-cheek or legit refuting of the tail slap? I always assumed this was an accepted fact of striper behavior. After googling it, I see that it is in dispute. I have had my smack it Jr popper “smacked” several feet out of the water by stripers (def not blues). But I guess that was accidental. Or, you’re just joshin!

I was joshin' you but,I also never believed it either.

then I saw video both above and below water and it is not really what happens which made sense to me.

same thing has happened to me with both gators and bass.

HH