Skeeterbait

ORCAs and Great Whites

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

So a new study out in the Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary off San Francisco, California, shows that when Orcas show up the Great Whites leave - like for the year.

So would Orca vocalizations broadcast underwater be a good shark deterrent for surfing beaches and places like the Cape?

A while back I was on vacation in Washington State in the San Juan islands where they have Orcas and do whale watching trips for them.  I was surprised to learn that there are three types or families of Orcas.  Those that eat fish only (think salmon) called the resident population, those that eat mammals only (seals and whales) called the transient population, and those that mostly only eat sharks and mostly offshore called the oceanic population.  Seems they teach their pups how to hunt and they stick with what mamma taught them.  

Do we have east coast Orcas?

1 min ago, Skeeterbait said:

So a new study out in the Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary off San Francisco, California, shows that when Orcas show up the Great Whites leave - like for the year.

So would Orca vocalizations broadcast underwater be a good shark deterrent for surfing beaches and places like the Cape?

A while back I was on vacation in Washington State in the San Juan islands where they have Orcas and do whale watching trips for them.  I was surprised to learn that there are three types or families of Orcas.  Those that eat fish only (think salmon) called the resident population, those that eat mammals only (seals and whales) called the transient population, and those that mostly only eat sharks and mostly offshore called the oceanic population.  Seems they teach their pups how to hunt and they stick with what mamma taught them.  

The sharks ate them....

1 hour ago, Skeeterbait said:

Never seen one, but I think the guys fishing winter giants in NC would say yes.  I remember seeing pics of them and whats left of a poached bluefin

Im not a big fan of orcas. Wouldnt mind if they were not protected and people were allowed to harpoon them for fun. 

Edited by Terry Mac

1 hour ago, Skeeterbait said:

Does Reed count?

Definately are east coast Orcas.  Many sightings up to even recently...2 or 3 years.  Ptown harbor had tuna pushed into it by them in the 80's.  If the sound works on seals i am all for it,,,,but i have my doubts,

9 mins ago, S J Fish said:

Orcas were spotted roughly 20 plus miles off the Cape last year

Yea no kidding shirlock. Stick to what you know, Swedish sailors. 

There is a population of mammal-munching orcas, but they stay well north, P.E. Island and north of there. I've wondered if the boom in seal populations on the East Coast will eventually cause them to come down here. 

What’s interesting about Orcas around California are the resident orcas eat strictly fish and the transient orcas eat mammals, in addition they are not able to communicate with each other