jvisconti

small craft/dinghy fishing around Massapequa?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a little 3hp tender or dinghy to mess around with this summer near my house in Massapequa. I do most of my boating in Montauk where my grandfather lives and keeps his boat but I'd like something little to zip around the bays and coves and (hopefully) catch some fish. Anybody have any experience with a small boat in this area? I've seen a ton of kayakers out here so I assume even a 9ft boat should be fine.

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

One thing about the south shore around Massapequa, Plenty of people around who can afford big boats that don't know how to operate big boats. You're taking your life in your hands in a 9 footer.

There was a fellow run over and killed in an inflatable two seasons ago. Hit and run. You've got to be very careful.

Yes, salt marshes make great structure for stripers. Use google maps to pick out the fishy looking ones, and avoid navigation channels at all costs. 

15 hours ago, jvisconti said:

That is a good point, it can be dangerous around there. I wonder what those kayakers think. 

Forget the dingy and get a Kayak.  Stay away from all the yahoo's on the water with motors.  Fish early just before sunrise mon - fri only.  Get off the water when you hear the first boat.  You will catch fish in that area.

I run a 16' Carolina Skiff with a 40HP outboard. That's as small as I'd possibly want to go. I'm extremely cautious of big boats, as many aren't really watching out for you, and don't pay attention to what their wake does as they pass you doing 30 knots.

Have to agree, I live in Seaford and my buddy has a 19 foot bowrider that we launch out of Wantagh Park and we are nearly killed every time we go out.

People have big boats and bigger ego's and they like to cruise with a beer in hand with zero care or thought of the wake they leave behind as they zoom by.

Its lawless out there on the water on the South Shore

Money can buy you a big house , fast cars , big boats , but can’t buy you brains .. like said don’t trust none of them turkeys out there .. but there is pleanty of flats and cuts that they can’t get near , i would focus on those areas 

I use to live by jones beach and work at the Barret power plant...

Tons of great memories boating out there.

9ft inflatable.....  Not dinghy.   I had that little plastic thing west marine sells.  It wouldn't take much water for it to come over the top.   I sold it, then went with a inflatable boat.   A 240 mercury with 8hp evinrude.  Lots of fun, flounder, and sea robins.   I put a flag on it so I was more visible.   You can fish some awesome spots other boats pass by without thinking........

Go for it.   Keep the inflatable in the shade.  Make a box to put it in for the winter.  I think they enjoyed the salts on the UV protector I applied to it.

Bought a zodiac aeroflex 310 air floor.  Still have that 8hp evinrude.  I have not played with it yet.  It's mainly for hilton head island 1000 miles from me.....   I also got it for when I get a bigger boat, like a 21 or 23ft.

I worked shifts, so I could fish during the week.   Didn't do too much weekend stuff with it in the summer.

If you boat at night, get a tall white light and a good flashlight to shine at people......

Don't know your age or condition, but can be rough on the body.   Sitting position while fishing, and riding the wave if you get something more than a 3hp for it.

Mine was rated for 9.9hp, 8 was plenty for one person, 8 just got 2 people on plane......   MY guess with a 3hp not producing a plane, maybe 7-8 mph.

Posted (edited) · Report post

So, after careful consideration, I have decided that it would be reckless to go out in something so small. I do still want to get something towable and relatively inexpensive that I can putt around in and (hopefully) hook a few lips. I am currently leaning towards a 16ft tin boat, specifically one with a v-hull and high(er) freeboards, and probably a tiller motor. I figure I can stay close to the shore and in the flats, coves, and channels with less risk. It probably would never leave the great south bay area.The only reason I'm leaning towards the aluminum, instead of a similar sized fiberglass boat, is the price and towability with a 4cyl hatchback. 

Anybody have any experience with an aluminum boat in these areas? Thanks guy!

Edited by jvisconti
clarification

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Grumman ........

Now,

That's a name that I haven herd in the long time.

One of the best planes, if not THE best, for agricultural aviation .

I used to work on maintaining those planes, G-164 with turbo prop 9 cylinders engine.

Edited by Popasilov

For years I have been fishing a few shore spots in the Great South Bay area around your neck of the woods and I see small aluminum boats fishing ALL the time during the prime summer months early in the morning.

Watch your small craft advisory and stick close to the back bays and channels and I can bet you won't have any issues.

1 hour ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Watch your small craft advisory and stick close to the back bays and channels and I can bet you won't have any issues.

I'd actually advise you to stay out of the channels whenever possible, assuming that you draw little enough water to run in thinner water.

I've been running around Great South Bay for almost 40 years, and from that experience, I'd say that you're going to have two primary problems in a small boat:  Wakes and drunks (which are not completely unrelated).

People tend to be completely oblivious to their wakes.  That's true whether we're talking about the raft-up-and-party crowd in their Sea Rays, boats that seem to be built to push as much water as possible, even at 10 or 12 kt, and the big sportfishermen headed in or out in the morning, who are often run with the attitude "my boat is bigger than yours,so get out of my way."  Great South Bay is plagued with both, and both can easily swamp you if you take a wake the wrong way.

Drunks are a little different problem.  They may often be running Sea Rays headed home at the end of the weekend, or sportfishermen coming back from offshore.  But if you're fishing largely during the night and morning, they won't be your biggest threat.  What you need to worry about are the folks in the small, fast boats who speed through the dark with a full load on after last call at Fire Island or one of the other clusters of waterfront bars.   There have been some tragic accidents of fishing boats rammed and people killed by drunks in my part of the Bay over the past few years.  Many years ago, when I kept my boat at Bergen Point in Babylon, I almost got my number punched when, maybe an hour before dawn, a midnight-black speedboat, showing no running lights, blew around a blind turn on Bergen Creek doing 50 kt-plus just as I was pulling out of my slip.  To say "near miss" would be an understatement.

Fog adds a particular spice to the whole thing, as they'll run flat out in zero visibility, and you don't even know where they are.

So if you're in a small boat, staying in less-traveled waters, at less traveled hours, is a good idea.  It's also where you'll find most of the fish, making it a win-win.