Trading down outboards how much?

Rate this topic

So I have an opportunity to pick up a 16' sea nymph with an older mercury 135 on it for a song.  This is overpowered.  I am wondering if I can sell the 135 to a mechanic and buy a 75 or so in better shape and have it installed as an even swap.

I know nothing about boat mechanics or the markets concerning outboard motors.  I am just wondering if this is a possibility and what it would likely cost to get done. 

I would also appreciate the name of a shop, north of Boston that may be amenable to what I am trying to do here.

Thank you.

Leave it on there. You could probably do ok even with a 60 on it.  I'd wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't much of a weight difference on it old vs new.  I would also be surprised if the prop was right for it.  Good chance you might need a faster prop on that boat...

Only thing your saving is gas.....

Also, during the outboard swap besides the harness, fuel fitting, shifter assembly/cables, you'll need to do maintenance on that too.  fuel filter, water pump, plugs, carb cleaning, maybe even new fuel pump.

Edited by salt deficient

Check the boat for leaks.  That is over powered by at least 50HP and probably more.  If it didn't pull the transom off, it probably rattled most of the rivets loose.  I sheared or loosened enough rivets out of a 16' starcraft with a 40 that I had to run the bilge pump every 5 - 10 minutes.

sam

On 4/17/2019 at 7:34 AM, Beachorbust said:

So I have an opportunity to pick up a 16' sea nymph with an older mercury 135 on it for a song.  This is overpowered.  I am wondering if I can sell the 135 to a mechanic and buy a 75 or so in better shape and have it installed as an even swap.

I know nothing about boat mechanics or the markets concerning outboard motors.  I am just wondering if this is a possibility and what it would likely cost to get done. 

I would also appreciate the name of a shop, north of Boston that may be amenable to what I am trying to do here.

Thank you.

Finding one is going to be more of a problem that getting someone to do it. Can't imagine someone wanting to swap a good motor for a not so good motor. Best bet is to find a good used one and pay for the swap then sell the bigger one on CL.

You’re not some crazy uncle you know!

I'm so glad I don't live in the fact-less bizarro world you live in...just sayin'.