Tonybags79

Night time lures

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Here is what I carry in my bag for night-time striped bass fishing at all times,

-  Andrus Bucktails (1/2oz, 1oz, 1.5oz & 2oz) w/ a pork rind like teaser

- SP minnow 17S both floating and sinking (bone white, blurple or black and chicken scratch)

- Super Strike darter (yellow and blurple) works well where i fish. 

- Needlefish Black w/ black teaser (3oz) 

- 1oz-3oz jigheads w/ rubber shads in bone white and neon green

Just match the hatch of what bait you see rolling in the water.

If you're fishing inlets, bucktails work amazing, but i'd keep lures packed up because you never know. 

Edited by BrooklynSurfCaster

Your best bet for early season stripers at night are, pink bass assassins, small SP minnows (any color) MagDarters, small shads and always put a teaser at night and I mean always.. Fast water, bucktails, small darters or SP minnows, calm waters always throw a small swimmer or rubber, good luck and catch large....

This time of year it's go big or go home for me. Bunker is the prevailing bait in the bays and rivers.  Big swimmers, big darters, bottles and big gliders. I think the smallest plug in my bag is the large mag darter. I save the teasers and the small rubber for the rest of the year. :howdy:

Loaded Red fins work well as do metal lips swimmers. Also, bring along a Super Strike darter or two if you are fishing any kind of current. A few white bucktails with Fat cow or Otter strips and soft plastics on a jig head would be a good idea too. Lastly, 7 and 9' Slug-gos rigged up will catch after dark as will Mag darters in 5 and 7" size.

58 mins ago, Tonybags79 said:

Sluggos ok got it , now how would I fish them? With a jig head in them? Or jus a hook? I would be fishing from the surf in Long Island south shore

They work both ways. If you are fishing in deeper water say in an inlet I would use the lead head and shallow boulder field type situations I would suggest a hook or two and maybe some insert weights to get you some more distance.

I've had great luck during the fall and spring runs with a black 2 3/8 oz. Super Strike Little Neck Popper trailing a black Red Gill teaser. :heart: :heart:

You swim this combo slowly and if anything is in the area, hands down you're hooking up !!  Period !!