Punch63

owners manual for vega midi

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I just won a bid no the vega midi 8500, has everything but the owners manual,

Can I figure the setup without it, or should I start scouring the internet for the manual.

Easy setup with instructions yes, without not so much, here's what I've got so far. I have some parts left in box I need help with. Also duplicator has a little play on the left hand side. Anyway to fix this. 

Thanks for the help - hopefully 

20190420_194315.jpg

20190420_194133.jpg

20190420_194324.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Starting with the top pic, the 2 longish pins top left are follower  pins, the run along a template to copy the contour on the plug.

The 2 bent pieces.will hold any center drilled items that you might want to copy. Not much use.as most plugs are not center  drilled.

The 4 thumbscrews hold a template into the slot on the dupe. 

The 2 3/8" washers are for the brackets that hold the dupe to the bed of the lathe.

The wingnut/threaded rod and spring go on the lever wihich.moves the cutter in and.out.20190420_205228.jpg.1f9f4d0ddb7f1430ec66dcc46f3a0ab5.jpg

The spring and wingnut

20190420_204628.jpg.ecf222ee8b16c018996fa0843e0528f6.jpg

My dupe mounted on the lathe, with a template mounted.

20190420_204622.jpg.93ad6512094d29c0bea6d66d087c24c1.jpg

Your second pic shows the posts that the dupe mounts to, if you look closely at mine you'll see where I've added a.lo Kim g collar to each post, so that, once the tool bright is set where you want it, you can tighten the sets crew on the collars, and remove and install the dupe back in the same place e every time.

20190420_204602.jpg.6d1dcd5097657ef4cbe6424390801feb.jpg

Pic of the lathe with the dupe removed

20190420_204547.jpg.721e42e8c71221da3a90ca1112d0fc4e.jpg

Another pic showing the collars on the mounting post.The cutter should be set at the centerline of the piece, or just barely lower, never higher. There is an excellent replaceable carbide insert cutter available to fit your dupe, if you get tired of sharpening.

Also shows the thumbscrews holding the template in place.

Edited by Ed White
typo

To check that the dupe is square to the lathe, mount a scrap piece of wood and set the cutter to make a light cut. Lock down the cutter in this position and use the handwheel to make the cut down the length of the piece. When the dupe is square to the lathe, the piece will be the same diameter at both ends.

Also, you mentioned a little play in the dupe, if all the fasteners are tight, then the dupe itself has setscrews to adjust the freeplay between the base and the carriage.

Yes, thank you very much Mr White. I think I've got it all figured out, thou still

a little play in the duplicator, but shouldn't be a problem.

5 hours ago, Steel Pulse said:

Good job Mr White 

I can be helpful, when the mood hits me. But I can't type, just read thru my post and I'm embarrassed.

5 hours ago, Punch63 said:

Yes, thank you very much Mr White. I think I've got it all figured out, thou still

a little play in the duplicator, but shouldn't be a problem.

Let the chips fly!