wasabi_VA

What product to fill screw holes?

16 posts in this topic

I am relocating part of my DIY anchor trolley and can't reuse all the original screw holes I created. What product is recommended to fill the holes? Just a basic silicone sealant?

15 mins ago, wasabi_VA said:

I am relocating part of my DIY anchor trolley and can't reuse all the original screw holes I created. What product is recommended to fill the holes? Just a basic silicone sealant?

it depend how thick is the material.if that is 1/2" i would take 2x4 and cut wedge from that,put glue on that and pound that in hole,when it harden cut that flush..

Posted (edited) · Report post

ok, gonna go OCD here...

1) some shavings from your kayak, or plastic of similar color,

2) a piece of microfiber towel (just for bumpy texture if your surface is the bumpy texture) with wood or some form of rigid backing

3) countersink bit

4) candle

5) 6" metal spackle blade 

6) application blade

7) gloves

8) masking tape, some good ones that'll adhere well

counter sink the holes

flash the plastic surface with quick heat

put plastic over spackle blade over candle to melt, not burn, if it bubbles, it is too hot... slow melt

scoop plastic and fill in holes, feather out over edges and try to make sure it "mushrooms" out underneath (inside hull)

place texture material over melted plastic press

if you can reach the underside, press down the mushroom from underneath else, masking tape the texture plate onto hole and reach in and spread out.

apply goop underside

did this on my trident ultra and the holes are not noticeable unless you're looking for it.

easy and lightweight is get some plastic screws from McMaster and goop the threads and screw it in.

but goop turns yellowish, so don't wipe the squeezeouts, just let it set and get a fine razor blade and trim it out.

hahaha

Edited by kinghong1970

Posted (edited) · Report post

I put a postage stamp size piece of duct tape underneath, and fill the hole with clear silicone.

2AF33317-6713-43A4-9A77-C4126B729C3C.jpeg

Edited by cheech

23 mins ago, cheech said:

I put a postage stamp size piece of duct tape underneath, and fill the hole with clear silicone.

*snipped photo*

that theres an great example of the KISS rule... sadly, I always fail on that rule.... hahaha

Ditto on the 5200 by 3M is a well known, tried and true sealant for below the waterline application on boats.  it's a bit pricey, but it works. A lot of times the silicone won't bond to the Poly, but since it's in an obvious place you'll know if it doesn't work.

Your done with the easy part. Now go to the dollar store and buy a bottle of matching color nail polish. Squeeze out a blob of silicone on a matchbook cover and put one drip of the nail polish in. Mix it up good and put a little dab over each hole. 

2 hours ago, dieselgrady said:

Ditto on the 5200 by 3M is a well known, tried and true sealant for below the waterline application on boats.  it's a bit pricey, but it works. A lot of times the silicone won't bond to the Poly, but since it's in an obvious place you'll know if it doesn't work.

They had small  tubes in HD.  About $9

fast set. And. Slow set  over with the glues   

Has anyone tried hot glue?