buddha162

Sun Mask/Gloves Review

41 posts in this topic

Don't your glasses fog up?

 

I have a "buff" balaclava that i wear from time to time...... no good when its pulled up over your face like that with glasses though....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a big fan. Did like them in the spring. If I pulled it over my ears I couldn't hear the no-seums from under my head net by the shore. Meanwhile still lathering sunblock on face and neck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, BillZ said:

Don't your glasses fog up?

I have a "buff" balaclava that i wear from time to time...... no good when its pulled up over your face like that with glasses though....

 

Buffs...which is basically a tube, w/o any ventilation...definitely will fog up your shades.

 

With the Simms and HUK, once you have it fitted just right over your mug, the fogging is virtually nonexistent. I do a few micro-adjustments throughout the day, esp after drinking or vaping, but once it's sitting correctly you're good to go, even on 90+ days. Every now and then I'll have to breath through my mouth for a couple of beats...this becomes second nature.   

 

2 hours ago, Rick67 said:

Not a big fan. Did like them in the spring. If I pulled it over my ears I couldn't hear the no-seums from under my head net by the shore. Meanwhile still lathering sunblock on face and neck.

 

I hate sunblock, never use it...hence my cycling through of a dozen+ brands/models to find the masks that work for me. The aforementioned gaiters have a contoured cut that protect your neck and rides over the bridge of your nose.  

Edited by buddha162

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way to look like a gay bank robber................................................................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

REI In CT had a big blow out clearance on buff wear.

Edited by The Riddler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, buddha162 said:

 

Buffs...which is basically a tube, w/o any ventilation...definitely will fog up your shades.

 

With the Simms and HUK, once you have it fitted just right over your mug, the fogging is virtually nonexistent. I do a few micro-adjustments throughout the day, esp after drinking or vaping, but once it's sitting correctly you're good to go, even on 90+ days. Every now and then I'll have to breath through my mouth for a couple of beats...this becomes second nature.   

 

 

I hate sunblock, never use it...hence my cycling through of a dozen+ brands/models to find the masks that work for me. The aforementioned gaiters have a contoured cut that protect your neck and rides over the bridge of your nose.  

How come we never see you vaping on your YouTube videos?  Lol...

 

I bought the Huk buffs and apparel last year and they are good quality and don’t fog my lenses.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Way to look like a gay bank robber................................................................

You know, I was fishing in Mexico with one and a couple came up to me and said jokingly “I’ll give you what ever you want” as they put their hands up. So yea, I guess not everyone’s accustomed to them yet. Not sure what makes them “gay” though, maybe because of the idea that some people are treating them as a fashion accesory??

 

They’re quickly becoming part of the landscape here in Texas though, especially among kayak anglers. 

 

In the summer I’m often miles offshore, mid day, no shade in sight, not even a tiny T-top, 101 degrees.  My gloves are constantly wet, slimy and bloody, not ideal for applying sunscreen. They’re also tough to remove and put back on when my hands are wet and doing so costs valuable time when you’re getting blown around by 15 mph winds. 

 

I never have to re-apply a sun gaiter, nor does it sting my eyes when I sweat or bust through the surf line, I don’t get a nasty taste of chemicals on my lips anymore, and quite frankly I’m less red than when I wore sunscreen no matter how vigilant I was. 

 

If if I still lived in RI or CT fishing mornings, evenings and at night, I might be less interested in them. 

 

For what I do, I’m fully dressed, pants, long sleeves, sun gaiter and hat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the review buddha, I’d like to echo your sentiments.

 

I primarily wear the huk  because they’re less expensive than Simms and seem more durable, but they’re both comfortable. I also wear an aftco solido which is nice with the breathing holes, and shoulder contour. If it had a contoured upper portion for the nose it would be perfect. 

 

As mentioned above, the breathing hole s really do make a difference with fogging and they’re less restrictive. I do notice that I get some fogging in the morning when it’s cool but as the sun comes up the fogging becomes a non issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Way to look like a gay bank robber................................................................

 

It is a most terrifying costume...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 mins ago, buddha162 said:

 

It is a most Fabulous costume...

FIFY

 

I have a blue HUK one......never wore it....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, youngsalt said:

Thanks for the review buddha, I’d like to echo your sentiments.

 

I primarily wear the huk  because they’re less expensive than Simms and seem more durable, but they’re both comfortable. I also wear an aftco solido which is nice with the breathing holes, and shoulder contour. If it had a contoured upper portion for the nose it would be perfect. 

 

As mentioned above, the breathing hole s really do make a difference with fogging and they’re less restrictive. I do notice that I get some fogging in the morning when it’s cool but as the sun comes up the fogging becomes a non issue

 

I was considering the AFTCO but like you said, the cut is not contoured up top...and I suspect the breathing holes will wear out just like the Simms. 

 

It really is a shame Simms couldn't reinforce the breathing area with some sort of mesh. Their material is by far the lightest/stretchiest/most comfortable of all the brands I've tried. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 11:30 PM, Pma531 said:

Oh cmon!! Now I have to buy more ****! Lol

 

Just buy the right ones!

 

2 hours ago, MagDarter said:

How come we never see you vaping on your YouTube videos?  Lol...

 

I think in my older ones I do...also curse like a sailor. Now I just edit that stuff out, a much more civilized channel for all audiences lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.