Carbontex Cleaning

Rate this topic

Pierce

I wipe off old grease, then I put the Carbontex drag washers in a small jar of Naphtha. Next I put the jar in a ultrasonic cleaner filled with hot water. Once done take out let dry and reapply grease.

Practice, practice and more practice, and when you think you're good practice some more." circa 2006, Cadman

Wiping off old grease with a cloth is all you need to do. There won’t be enough residual old/dirty grease left to contaminate the new stuff you’ll put on. It’s only a set of friggin’ drag washers and not a surgical implant, for Pete’s sake. They don’t have to be sterilized and contaminant free. Spend less time worrying about stuff like this and more time fishing. Cheers!

Edited by valentine

Make sure they're carbontex or high quality....the chinesium stuff found in a bunch of reels is barely held together and can flake apart when handles.....

If replaced....that crap can destroy gears if it gets in the mix.

I've used alcohol, soap and water, and just wiped clean and reapplied.

Never noticed a difference.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

4 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

I wouldn't use any kind of cleaner or solvent on carbon washers.  I'd give it a good rinse with warm water, wipe dry and re-apply Cal's drag grease.

I've been using solvent on carbon parts of all kinds for years without issue. I spray my drag washers with electronic parts cleaner then wipe them clean. The stuff dries quickly and leaves no residue. I also use Cal's to re-grease them. 

31 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

question to all here at the moment,,,why grease them at all?

I like and use mine dry,,,not detracting the thread.

HH

I believe a little bit of grease will ease my mine rather then use it dry.  But that just for me.

28 mins ago, Pierce said:

I believe a little bit of grease will ease my mine rather then use it dry.  But that just for me.

maybe it's because I fish winches that makes a diff?,,not sure.

the drag feels much more predictable and I have to apply waay less star pressure to get good friction.

when I had my caucutta te rebuilt by shimano,they used that cals grease,I hated it.

the way it felt when a fish pulled was like it would slowly spin and when a fish pulled hard,it would slip a lot then slow down.

I just don't dig it.

the feel of dry carbons is much nicer to me.

always predictable.

it's kinda like adding grease to disc brakes in my book.

HH

ps-mind you the factory drags in calcuttas are dartainium not carbons.

the rest of my reels have been swapped out to carbons,all run dry.

if they get a bit of grease on them they don't stop like I want so they come out and get washed with dawn dish soap and back in they go.

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Overtime, won't the Carbontex get too dry n fail under constant heat of spinning when fighting big fish?  I don't mean to apply a large chunk of grease, just a pinch and rub them through to let the Carbontex have a bit of "moisture" in them.

12 mins ago, Pierce said:

Overtime, won't the Carbontex get too dry n fail under constant heat of spinning when fighting big fish?  I don't mean to apply a large chunk of grease, just a pinch and rub them through to let the Carbontex have a bit of "moisture" in them.

never heard of that or had it happen to me before.

I was told by the guy at the carbon site that they are designed to be run dry.

when mine get a bit of grease on them from normal use I have to crank the star more to get the same drag.

dry,they perform great.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

2 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

never heard of that or had it happen to me before.

I was told by the guy at the carbon site that they are designed to be run dry.

when mine get a bit of grease on them from normal use I have to crank the star more to get the same drag.

dry,they perform great.

HH

Then there is no point of grease for Carbontex in the first place, except for internal moving parts like gears and bearings.

Edited by Pierce