ThrowinPlugs

2018/2019 Trident 11 opinions?

27 posts in this topic

Hey all, so last year I bought a pescador pro 12'. Love it. Its stable, it's got ample room, transducer ready (a huge plus) comfortable seat, pretty maneuverable. However; storage sucks, it only has two open deck storage areas, one small hatch which is completely useless if you're IN the boat, being its directly behind you. The built in rod holders suck, so I had to buy actual ones and install them. The biggest problem, its heavy and slow as ****. My girlfriends standard pescador blows mine away in speed. 

I looked at the trident in the past and people complained about hulls deforming. I have yet to see that in person. The newer versions also have a much nicer storage section between the legs, as well as the locking hatch, it's only a 30" beam,  56 pounds and is 11.5", and is transducer ready. Does anyone here have experience with the newer 2018 models? Any gripes? I wish I could afford a pedal yak, but it's just not in the cards. These only retail around $1000. All my yak fishing is inshore, back bays, lakes and rivers, maybe a mile out on the LI sound max. I dont go anywhere there is big surf or ripping current really. What do you think?

Your weight is off, the older version of which I have the last year made weighs about 54lbs. The new version you are looking at is 71lbs. probably due to the  awesome seat. Yes a guy here posts a picture of his trident 13 old version all

the time and had , I think four go bad with oil canning on the hull, I have had two trident 11 old versions and a Trident ultra. The ultra  and my current trident 11 just spent two years upside down on a rack

in a shipping container while I recovered  from a tough surgery and then building a house , both look great  no deforming perhaps I was  lucky. Current hulls are different and have a narrower rod pod, BUT there is a world of difference between 54 lbs and 71lbs both of which I assume include the seat as I weighed mine with seat at 53 pounds holding it on the bath scale......jack

You are not far off in price for a used pedal yak, I’m about to put my 2015 Slayer up for sale  and assume it is worth perhaps $1300 or so. There are deals out there but most pedal yaks are heavy.....jack

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not sure what type of water you are going to use it in or how big you are but think you are going backwards if you are going from a 12' to something smaller. I would suggest the Trident 13. I'm sure you can find a used or leftover 2018 model on the cheap. 

Hulls deforming? Never heard to that and have owned quite a few prowerls and tridents. All will take shape to whatever they are lying on and some heat. Same goes for correction. 

Also, besides a few select kayaks, most SOT kayaks in todays age are measured as: Heavy > Really Heavy > Really F-ing Heavy 

It's weird because I had an aluminum canoe once that weighed 39 pounds and could pick it up with one hand over my head like it was a basketball. 

Edited by NHAngler

Have you considered a used kayak. Check out the buy and sell forum. Great deals on slightly used revo 13's.

Edited by dbjpb

Well I found a guy selling a Revo 13 (I believe it's a 13) for a pretty good price that I'm gonna check out tomorrow after work. Guys has had it a few years, used it very little. It has the mirage drive with the red fins (I'm still new to hobies). What should I be looking for as far as normal occurring hobie issues? Hull problems, mirage drive issues etc...Anything particular to the Revolutions? I'll be using a lowrance hook 4 FF with it. 

20190416_203929.jpg

20190416_203952.jpg

20190416_204016.jpg

20190416_204043.jpg

Edited by ThrowinPlugs

That looks like a v1 mirage drive

check the clicking system where the drive goes in, check the scupper holes

check around the molding around seat plugs

and third pic, what’s the 4 holes near grab handle?

my guess is that’s an older model revo 13

check serial number 

Edited by kinghong1970

The holes at the front of the seat look like holes for the seat pad screws, and maybe the 4 in the handle were for a fish finder? I'm gonna look at it today after work,  but if its a v1 mirage drive that's concerning. Guy is only asking $1200, but even then I dont wanna start dumping money into it..hmm..

The Trident 13 is what you should be looking at I think.  There are some on the used market now; I have been prowling craigslist a lot.  I have a WS Tarpon 120 and like it a lot...stable, tracks well, etc.  Although WS did improve the storage hatch at your knees from the previous generation, it's a smallish round hatch and I'm kind of limited in terms of what can fit in there...and having it not slide all over the place.  Cannot fit Plano 3600 boxes in there and that is a big design flaw in my mind.  The only serious gripe I have about that yak.

The Trident 13 on the other hand...whoa.  that storage system should have a design award.  Extremely well thought-out.  Test-paddled one last year and told myself that it was going to be my next kayak.  Seemed to paddle and handle better than the T120....faster too.  Very very nice boat.  slightly heavier than the T120.  T120 is 69 pounds, the Trident 13 is 79 pounds.  But that storage system is superb.

Regarding weight...I think that's one of the first decisions to make.  What is your style and how heavy is "too heavy".  One reason I am sticking with my T120 is that I can handle it pretty easily and walk maybe 100 yards with it on my head.  Anything heavier and I would be having back problems.  Or...and this is something I do not want to do...using a cart, and a Hullivator roof rack ($600) or a trailer.  The added hassle and lack of easy mobility do not suit me.  It depends on your situation,.  If I have a dock or a place on the beach, I wouldn't give much thought to weight.  but I don't.

One more thing...I do a good bit of freshwater LMB fishing on a Lake where I can really get into the shallows a lot.  there's no way I could get to most of these places with fins on a Hobie.  Also, the milfoil is very heavy and would clog fins instantly.  Also I like to fish in the lily pads and there also the fins would be a detriment.  Your mileage may vary.  Longer trips on very open water especially with some wind, the pedal kayak would make a lot of sense and the advantages would probably outweigh the disadvantages.

8 mins ago, blackdogfish said:

.  One reason I am sticking with my T120 is that I can handle it pretty easily and walk maybe 100 yards with it on my head.  Anything heavier and I would be having back problems.

this is something I do not want to do...using a cart

The added hassle and lack of easy mobility do not suit me. 

Curious;

Why do you dislike carts? ..... load it up and drag it to the waters edge, done....

Do you walk back & forth t bringing your gear AFTER you've carried your kayak both to & from the water?

35 mins ago, BillZ said:

Curious;

Why do you dislike carts? ..... load it up and drag it to the waters edge, done....

Do you walk back & forth t bringing your gear AFTER you've carried your kayak both to & from the water?

Yup.  To me the cart is just one more thing and there are places where the terrain doesn't lend itself to a cart.  And then....ya have to carry it on your yak.  To each his own I guess.  The real limiting factor for me is am I going to hurt my back lifting to the car rack.  If I need a cart.... I'll probably be hurting my back.

Just me....I'm weird.

I would consider a prowler if you like ocean  kayaks. Lighter, faster, cheaper. It does have less storage.

Edited by dbjpb