tomkaz

Does anyone pick up trash on the beach after a fishing outing? 

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Does anyone pick up trash on the beach after a session fishing? 

In SE Florida, we get quite a bit of flotsam (or is it jetsam, I never recall the difference) that washes up on our beaches with each tide. From where it comes, no one really knows. Some think it gets there from the Bahama, or further East. Others think it is dumped off of cruise ships before they come into the Palm Beach Inlet. Others think it washes out of the inshore waters through the inlets on a falling tide. 

Wherever it comes from, it is unsightly. The public beaches and private hotel or condo owned beaches will usually get cleaned up whether by hand or via raking tractors. The latter is less about cleaning up the plastic bits than it is about removing the sargassum weed that also gets washed up, with the trash embedded in it. 

The beaches on the south end of Jupiter Island don't get much attention as they are not adjacent to hotels or condos. Thus, the weed and debris can sit there for months, before either a king tide washes it back out or the town of Jupiter runs a tractor down there. And even if they do that, they don't go near the dunes, which is where much of this concentrates. 

I have decided to bring a garbage bag with me each trip and spend the last 15 minutes picking up whatever I can find. The following photos show stuff picked up in my first session on Sunday. 

The little flip flop was up in the dunes, with the other sandals, the bottle and other stuff. There are several tangles of braid fishing line in there as well, not healthy for the turtles who are coming up to the beaches starting now to drop their eggs. 

Not sure what is motivating me beyond the old scouting idea of taking out more than you brought in, or leaving it cleaner than you found it. 

Anyway, are beaches elsewhere this bad? Do you spend any time cleaning them? 

3FA9AB83-0F66-469F-B1F3-96E6D93F4B40.jpg.ee983a6acb3425d4def3722ebf1575e4.jpg

17DFEC96-436D-497E-91D1-ACF78614B0E9.jpg.5fb97dd69acc129d114278d201070537.jpg

10E0EB2A-54B6-4399-B892-71D4DA81965F.jpg.562894dacb36392d3ba317238e272fe6.jpg

4626B522-3851-413B-93B2-A0F989D5E6CB.jpg.244045b2e6b2ec8b5c3f33a4ed87d4b6.jpg

F07782A3-06F7-4547-9997-6CD27A6ED0F8.jpg.f6fb7a5d080264bd4cad80cc2e35e319.jpg

20C779EC-75A2-45AC-9FDC-8728D7405B96.jpg.2593131893a507afb1c1e0a30835a119.jpg

Edited by tomkaz

BTW, one of the surprising things I see on our beaches are the plastic bottles that hair dye comes in. Clear, white, yellow, they are usually on the beach (though not this past weekend). Most times, more of them than soda or water bottles. Weird. 

From two weeks ago. 

fullsizeoutput_3a24.jpeg.5922197d9842f5b1f75b9bdc0aa38d71.jpeg

All the time. My wife also has a knife on your kayak. There is many a a day that goes by that I don’t get a newish lure out of it. My wife cuts the line out of the mangroves. Even the launch areas we clean up. I have found a few rods and reels too. You get out early morning and they are laying there fromthe night prior.  Pliers seem to be the big item left behind. 

Nice job Tomkaz, I do the same every time I fish, always leave the beach cleaner then when I got there. 

I usually pick up whatever’s around and throw it into my truck bed if I’m at a spot where I’m close to it. Otherwise if I find line or smaller items, I stuff it into my pockets. Haven’t brought a bag with me yet but it’s not a bad idea, one can easily be stuffed into a bag. People should stop being so disrespectful in the first place. Say something if you see something, call people out when they’re walking off the jetty without their trash.

My buddies and I always dedicate the last hour picking up trash before we head out. A little goes a long way, Hopefully others see the good we are doing and join in without hesitation. 

My family goes to the Cape Cod Canal for a week every year to stay near the railroad bridge on the cape side we pick up almost a full trash bag everyday. You wouldn't believe how many of those little damn nip alcohol bottles are laying around

Every once in a while I’ll do this when it’s really disgusting on some RB beaches. I’ll use whatever plastic shopping bags that washed up to pick up peoples trash and they leave everything. (Tents, bait containers, plastic jersey barrier, beer bottles) sometimes people don’t understand that could be a reason a spot gets shut down. Carry in and carry out  

Some people are just pigs and I don't think they will change, I don't clean their stuff but the garbage that drifts in I bag up, besides all the plastic there's a lot of medical crap, syringes, gloves, etc. I feel it's good karma the fish gods know this and will reward you accordingly..

Yes, yes I do and sometimes it is so bad I organize a beach clean up. Have the mindset to leave any fishing spot better than when I arrived (well minus a fish maybe). 

Edited by Linesideslayer

I do all the time as well. If I see a can in the water , I will try to snag it with my lure to pull it out and  put it in my boat for later disposal. I hate to see garbage in the water or on the shore.

Edited by Cadman T