fishguts430

Top water bite

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

What time of year does the top water bite turn on? Im planning on fishing some back bays this weekend and really want my first top water bite. Is it still to early

Go throw some top waters and find out. There is no hard and fast rule.  Most opinions based on believing water temps need to hit certain levels are baseless.

Pay attention to your retrieve speed.

really depends. sometimes april 10 other times april 25. In my experience it also varies from day to day. I may have them on top one day and a week later (with warmer water) i may only be able to get them on shads and bucktails.

2 hours ago, fishguts430 said:

What time of year does the top water bite turn on? Im planning on fishing some back bays this weekend and really want my first top water bite. Is it still to early

I would say less to do with time of year and more to do with the bait that the fish are feeding on.

from a blue fish perspective in my area i would expect them to be holding the bottom. Probably another 10 days and they will be top water.  Now they have to show up for this to happen. 

I was just looking back at some older pictures from last year and the first fish that I caught on a popper in the back last year was on April 27th.  That's about ten days away from now, so it's not to say that if you go around dusk this weekend you won't be able to get some fish at the surface.  There's only one way to see for sure... Good luck!

15 hours ago, fishguts430 said:

It's never too early to try, but I would say that typically mid-late April is the right time to see a topwater bite in most locations. I've had fish in the back and out front on topwater. My log from last year shows my first topwater action was on April 28th. They were probably biting on top earlier than that, but it was the first day I tried. I would agree that the bait around matters, and if bunker are around especially, give it a go. If you don't get a bite, at least it was fun working the plug IMO.

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 hours ago, fishguts430 said:

To me right around April 10th hits start happening (not to say it can't happen before than). Early April seems a bit early where the bass prefer bait, soft plastics, and slow retrieving swimmers. Now it's absolutely fair game. On a flat warm night, if a bass is cruising in the flats and sees the popper don't be surprised if you get a big strike. In my opinion, that's the greatest moment in striper fishing...a top water strike.

Edited by joefishnj21

2 hours ago, joefishnj21 said:

On a flat warm night, if a bass is cruising in the flats and sees the popper don't be surprised if you get a big strike. In my opinion, that's the greatest moment in striper fishing...a top water strike.

I completely agree, it is a surreal experience... I have been out the past week throwing top water plugs exclusively. Still waiting for that moment

Thanks gentleman. I will only be down for a day in a half as plans changed but I plan on getting to the shore around 5. Hopefully get the kayak launched and in the water for an hour or 2 then ill be at it at first light Friday morning until the winds or storms come in. Im hoping with it being cloudy that could help the bite

I am no expert but I have caught my fair share of stripers on topwater baits. Nothing like the explosion when they hit. They do respond differently that largemouth bass to a topwater bait. They will often hit short or slap at the bait, it is importanmt to keep it moving at this point. I have had them slap at it three times before finally inhaling the bait. They will hit in complete sunlight too, in fact the sun may help warm the water and turn them on this time of year. On the incoming I would hit the shallows in the back and on the start of the outgoing cast up into feeder creeks. They stage up at the feeder creeks waiting for bait to come to them on the outgoing tide. Good luck and post a report either way.

On 4/15/2019 at 5:39 PM, fishguts430 said:

Check out John Skinner's new video on Youtube; he's on a topwater bite on the north fork of LI in April. He is a great fisherman no doubt, but there's the proof that fish will eat a topwater lure even when the water is chilly.